Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Extreme Makeover: Singer 15 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/extreme-makeover-singer-15-a-t277643.html)

QuiltingVagabond 04-11-2016 01:45 PM

Pretty green... how about Pimp My Machine? Lol

wesing 04-11-2016 07:05 PM

I don't know about a name, but I love your green and gold 15!

CanadianGirl 04-12-2016 06:47 AM

Thank you everyone for your input...I had already considering putting some paint into the indents for stitch length but hadn't got brave enough yet. I will update, especially when we decide on a name!

Jo Anne B. 04-12-2016 07:23 AM

Yours is a Centennial model, my understanding Centennial models are higher in demand and will bring a higher price.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I agree research before painting.
I have a 15-91, 1951 Centennial in excellent shape, decals and all, I have no intention of ever painting her.

Quilterafloat 04-12-2016 09:54 AM

When I looked at this I thought " Candy apple green!!"... How about a name like "Sew much candy" or " Sewing Candy" ? Just a thought to get you started. Or...." Painted ladies" ? And BTW.... I would like candy apple red if I were going to paint one of mine...❤️

Cari-in-Oly 04-12-2016 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. (Post 7521286)
Yours is a Centennial model, my understanding Centennial models are higher in demand and will bring a higher price.

I can't tell if the pictured machine has a centennial badge or the normal black rimmed badge of the 50s. Centennial badges shouldn't necessarily bring a higher price because there are many centennial year machines that don't have the centennial badge and there are centennial badges on many machines from other years. The truly rare collectible badges are the worlds fair badges and the like.

Cari

SingerCLA 04-12-2016 12:30 PM

I am hardly the target market for painted classic sewing machines, but will offer my opinion here anyway. ...

I have nothing against painting vintage sewing machines but would suggest colors other than neon day glow bright that you might find on a skate board or bike riding jersey. Something rich and deep like a burgundy or mahogany that would really make the gold trim stand out. I just think it would look better on the classic lines of these machines.
Also, the bright colors may contribute to eye fatigue if you actually use the machine for a few hours.

DonnaMiller 04-12-2016 03:31 PM

The common ones like 66, 99, 15 that are in bad paint can be moved up in class. They were asking $800 at Paducah for a FW in candy apple red metallic. It was stunning. To each his own and may you all be happy with your choices.

callen 04-13-2016 05:14 PM

How about your own title on this post: Extreme Makeover - Sew Easy

amcatanzaro 04-13-2016 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7521482)
I can't tell if the pictured machine has a centennial badge or the normal black rimmed badge of the 50s. Centennial badges shouldn't necessarily bring a higher price because there are many centennial year machines that don't have the centennial badge and there are centennial badges on many machines from other years. The truly rare collectible badges are the worlds fair badges and the like.

Cari

I think that's just the black rimmed badge.

I love repainted machines if they are the classics (66, 99, 15's... probably the 221's too... 127's, etc) there are plenty of those out there to paint until the cows come home. I prefer non-bright colors because I would still want to sew on them and the bright would hurt my eyes.

My suggestion would be something along the lines of Sewing Happy...