Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The eye of the needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/eye-needle-t192767.html)

xxxxxxxxxx 06-25-2012 03:11 PM

The eye of the needle

Looking back to the days as the little kid ( 50's ). I always noticed that many women when sewing had a same round tin of something sitting next to there machines, they would rub there fingers in this stuff, the pick up there pins...

I know everyone here at things has a problem threading the eye of the needle,,, we just to old and get the kid to thread it.. everyone has there tricks to do this,,

at times this trick just doesn't work well, and that thread is not going in the hole.. we have all been there ..

I was told once that what was in these tin's was a soft wax and use to put on thread to keep it from fuzzing up, so they could thread there needles,,, for months this image of those ladys using there tins keeps coming up..

last night, not having any type of a soft wax, I got out a piece of ivory soap and used that ...on my thread . BINGO , piece of cake.. The thread stays straight,, no fuzz at the end and goes right in the eye.....

Now,,, am I dreaming or was that what those tins were really used for, and can we get this today....

Krisb 06-25-2012 03:36 PM

Yes, you can buy beeswax in the notions department. You could also use Thread Heaven. I think you're exactly right.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-25-2012 03:52 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa Thats it beeswax, I have that but it's not the soft type....

thanks, That will go on my list ,, of must have's..

Neesie 06-25-2012 03:58 PM

I usually wear chapstick (it's dry, here in TX) and have found it's wonderful, to use on the tip of the thread. :)

xxxxxxxxxx 06-25-2012 04:17 PM

LOLOL<, yep chapstick ... I'd bet chapstick is 90% beeswax... LOLOL..... I sent months worry about doing this, thinking it may clog things up..

LOL,, now I'll be digging around in my junk, there must be some chapstick around here ...

ube quilting 06-25-2012 04:26 PM

I use a sented votive candle and I run the thread under a warm iron after threading it to remove the excess wax and it makes the thread slip through the material with great ease. Smells good too! My favorite is Sage and Citrus by Yankee Candle company.
peace

EDIT: Chap stick is a petrolium product

Judie 06-26-2012 05:32 PM

I also use my chapstick.. and beeswax.. and a piece of candle wax.. I even used the wax that wraps up those lovely little cheese bites.. You know, Laughing Cow.. all work just fine.. However, regular lipstick does not.. had regular colored lipstick on one time and didn't realize it until I had little dark pint dots on my pieces.. oops.

cpower 06-27-2012 06:24 AM

Thank you for the wonderful beeswax tip! Lol!! There are dozens of places here in the hill country of Texas to get beeswax, beebalm, can't wait to try it and to share the idea with my friends at the Stitchers group!

Noiseynana 06-27-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif (Post 5316453)
Looking back to the days as the little kid ( 50's ). I always noticed that many women when sewing had a same round tin of something sitting next to there machines, they would rub there fingers in this stuff, the pick up there pins...

I know everyone here at things has a problem threading the eye of the needle,,, we just to old and get the kid to thread it.. everyone has there tricks to do this,,

at times this trick just doesn't work well, and that thread is not going in the hole.. we have all been there ..

I was told once that what was in these tin's was a soft wax and use to put on thread to keep it from fuzzing up, so they could thread there needles,,, for months this image of those ladys using there tins keeps coming up..

last night, not having any type of a soft wax, I got out a piece of ivory soap and used that ...on my thread . BINGO , piece of cake.. The thread stays straight,, no fuzz at the end and goes right in the eye.....

Now,,, am I dreaming or was that what those tins were really used for, and can we get this today....

Yep , its called Thread Heaven.

riutzelj 06-27-2012 08:27 AM

i use the solid beeswax and run my thread through it before threading the needle. sometimes i do need to run the thread through my fingers first to get off the extra wax.