Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Fabric Sewing Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fabric-sewing-machine-t280029.html)

GKSanf 06-29-2016 11:12 AM

Fabric Sewing Machine?

I picked this machine up lately and looking to identify the manufacturer.
It is stickered "Fabric". A tag shows Fabric, Made in Japan and also has New York on it.
Numbered F152908. No other markings.

I appears to be very like a Singer. Class 15. And I assume it was manufactured in Japan and distributed in New York by Fabric Company?

Anyone know any more about this machine?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Glenda

MFord 06-29-2016 11:24 AM

That's an unusual name!

Jane Quilter 06-29-2016 11:27 AM

New to me. Never saw that one. Does it work?

GKSanf 06-29-2016 12:00 PM

Might I say that the name makes it harder to search. lol

Yes! It works! Pretty dirty and messy right now, but I'm in the process of cleaning it up to make her shine. She will be beautiful in her new found glory.

maryrose67 06-29-2016 01:10 PM

New to me, too. What a find ! She's going to be gorgeous when she's all clean and shiny ! Her finish and decals look to be in good condition, so that's a big plus. I sure hope we get to see her after she's all prettied up.

Cari-in-Oly 06-29-2016 01:30 PM

Yes it's a normal 15 class clone. The stitch length lever is kind of cool, that's a little different looking. Probably early to mid 1950s though by the mid 50s most Japanese machines had followed Singer in changing the scroll work to striated. It should clean up nicely. Serial #s are useless for Japanese machines because there are no searchable records.
I'd get rid of that stretch belt and put a V belt on it. The motor will thank you.

Cari

GKSanf 06-29-2016 01:46 PM

Thanks, Cari. Just was what I was thinking. I put a v-belt on one of my vintage Singers and was wondering if I made a good choice or not. I will definitely be putting one on this one as well.

I will clean her up and try to remember to post a picture.

Thank you for the input!

Glenda

lswan 07-01-2016 05:21 AM

How cool is a sewing machine named Fabric!! I think that is great. Japanese Class 15.

purplefiend 07-01-2016 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by GKSanf (Post 7589881)
Thanks, Cari. Just was what I was thinking. I put a v-belt on one of my vintage Singers and was wondering if I made a good choice or not. I will definitely be putting one on this one as well.

I will clean her up and try to remember to post a picture.

Thank you for the input!

Glenda

Your machine is a very pretty Singer 15 clone, should clean up very nicely. Use sewing machine oil to clean it, anything water based or a harsh chemical will silver the decals or remove them completely.
The V-belts are a much better choice. I have a Singer 237 that had a stretch belt on it when I bought it, the bearings in the motor were worn out from the stretch belt being too small. So long story short, it became a treadle machine.