Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Buying Tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-buying-tip-t271074.html)

Redsquirrel 10-14-2015 09:05 AM

Featherweight Buying Tip

Hi all, thought I'd share a very painful experience I just had, so as to prevent anyone else from having the same experience. I went to go see a featherweight at a church sale, and I didn't bring cash. I made a crazy deal with the lady, and went to go get cash from the ATM just down the street, but another lady showed up with cash and got it. It was a beautiful minty scroll with chrome thread stitch length indicator and a blue badge for...wait for it....$120. I lost out because I didn't have cash on hand. Be warned folks, you could miss out on a serious deal. I have to force myself to not think about it because it makes me sick to my stomach. I will NEVER make the mistake again of not bringing cash.

ManiacQuilter2 10-14-2015 09:07 AM

Please don't cry over it. It was SAD that the lady didn't trust you to come back. I assume you were alone. Something better will come along, it always does.

NJ Quilter 10-14-2015 09:10 AM

I agree with ManiacQuilter2 - another, better deal will come along before you know it. But, yes, always carry cash for church sales; yard sales; estate sales; etc. But only what your budget will allow you to miss!

quiltingcandy 10-14-2015 09:11 AM

I agree with ManiacQuilter2, it seems a shame the person refused to wait for you to return from the ATM (assuming you went right away and came back). But that just means that machine was not meant for you and another one with a better karma is still out there.

SteveH 10-14-2015 09:14 AM

It will turn out right. Like folks here said. It will come back around.

sewbeadit 10-14-2015 12:15 PM

I think that it is sad we can't trust anyone any more. I think she was wrong in selling that before you were able to get back in a reasonable time as you had a deal!

I have heard stories about people making a deal to hold something on CL till they could get there and someone had called and offered them more money for it and they sold it to them. I think that is wrong too.

If I don't have cash at the moment I will offer them a check to hold till I get back with cash, they aren't out anything at all because they will get money if I come back or not and leaving a good check means I will be back with the cash and then I will trade the cash for the check back. Has worked well many times. Yes Cash is the best thing, but there are times I have stopped in at sales on the spur of the moment with no cash so if there is something I want I try and make a deal and then hope they stick with it. Sorry you missed out on your treasure.

ThayerRags 10-14-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel (Post 7345244)
...lost out because I didn't have cash on hand.....

Ouch! Sorry that you lost out on it. Your advice is good. Cash is King at those kinds of sales!

CD in Oklahoma

tessagin 10-14-2015 02:14 PM

It may have seemed like a heck of a deal and she didn't trust you enough to be right back. but as everyone else stated there is probably a better one. It will come.

Manalto 10-14-2015 02:19 PM

It's a scandal that she didn't trust you at a CHURCH SALE! Sheesh!

I've heard many stories of people who were given Featherweights for free (me included). May the same happen to you!

Sandygirl 10-14-2015 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7345247)
Please don't cry over it. It was SAD that the lady didn't trust you to come back. I assume you were alone. Something better will come along, it always does.

Cash wins..every time. I would have sold it too.that is business.
sandy