Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-help-t182251.html)

mom2boys 03-10-2012 12:05 AM

Featherweight Help

I was cruzin along sewing sewing and noticed I was starting to get some skipped stitches and couldn't remember the last time I changed my needle so I replaced it, oiled and cleaned out lots of dust and lint. Now the needle I can't sew more than 2-3 stitches without the upper thread nesting below. I have double checked to make sure the flat side of the needle (Singer 80/11) is to my left. I did notice that the bobbin case is missing one of the screws and have no idea if this just happened or if it has been like this for a while, would this matter?

ckcowl 03-10-2012 02:56 AM

sounds like you need to rethread-from the beginning & make sure your thread is between the tension disks correctly---nesting on the bottom is a top thread issue- sometimes it is easy to miss one simple step when threading- so rethreading should be the first (try)--you may have knocked something loose- done something when you cleaned it???look it over --- on my vintage singer the needle goes in with the flat side to the right???could the needle be in backwards? i don't know if that is even possible---but it sounds as if the threading may be the problem- also check to see if maybe a piece of lint is caught in the tension disks- that can cause the problem too-- when all else fails start over from the beginning. good luck!

lenette 03-10-2012 05:28 AM

and don't forget to be sure the foot is down

abdconsultant 03-10-2012 05:31 AM

reread your manual.

Maureen 03-10-2012 05:48 AM

I always thread my machine and wind bobbins with the manual open in front of me. Its a whole lot easier to not miss a step.

Caroline S 03-10-2012 08:16 AM

Turn your spool of thread over??? Sometimes the thread catches on the little slit at the top. Just a suggestion.

featherweightman 03-10-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boys (Post 5046370)
I was cruzin along sewing sewing and noticed I was starting to get some skipped stitches and couldn't remember the last time I changed my needle so I replaced it, oiled and cleaned out lots of dust and lint. Now the needle I can't sew more than 2-3 stitches without the upper thread nesting below. I have double checked to make sure the flat side of the needle (Singer 80/11) is to my left. I did notice that the bobbin case is missing one of the screws and have no idea if this just happened or if it has been like this for a while, would this matter?

If it is the screw near the end, that is the thread tension screw.That is most likely the problem.Iwould get a magnet and scan the area and machine to try to recover it It is very hard to find a replacement

imnywoman 03-11-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5047167)
Turn your spool of thread over??? Sometimes the thread catches on the little slit at the top. Just a suggestion.

I've had that issue with thread spools. I use a nail file to smooth out the slit. Also, slide a doubled piece of the flat type of dental floss between the tension disks; even if you don't see anything there you may be surprised at what comes out. Good luck.

mom2boys 03-11-2012 11:31 AM

Thanks for the tips, but now its working just fine. I loosened the screws that hold the needle plate in place, I think I might have over tightened them. Also I'm pretty sure the motor was getting over heated too. Today the machine is working jsut fine.

Wintersewer 03-12-2012 04:17 PM

Did you take off the needle plate when you were cleaning?