Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Which Featherweight model is best? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-model-best-t117206.html)

teacherbailey 04-19-2011 02:37 AM

I love my huge cast iron Singer from 1941 and have decided to get a Featherweight model. I need advice as to which one to get----and info on what the differences in the models are. I will definitely get all of the attachments, etc. so that isn't a concern but I went on eBay to look around and thoroughly confused myself!

HELP!!!!!!!!

katier825 04-19-2011 03:21 AM

I believe there are only 2 models - 221 & 222. The 221 is the most popular and more readily available. The 222 is a freearm and is rarer and usually much more expensive. I've never read anything negative about them. If you find one in working condition at a decent price, grab it!

greenini 04-19-2011 11:19 AM

I recommend you get a copy of Nancy Johnson-Sebro's book Featherweight 221 The perfect portable. It has a lot of info including a chart of manufacturing dates and info about the different colors and manufacturing sites and "eras". There is basically a copy of the original book with how to use the accessories that are common such as the ruffler, edger, tucker, gatherer,binders, hemmers (wide and narrow) and also common issues like how to thread, how the bobbin loads, etc. I couldn't decide if my FW was a good deal, we bought this book the night we saw it, read it from cover to cover, went back and bought her. Never been sorry.

zipit 04-19-2011 11:31 AM

I have one of each. I love my 222 but it's like new and I hate to use it. My 221 is a 1937 and it's a little worn but purrs like a kitten.

I do pull out the 222 when I have a small area that could use a freearm.

teacherbailey 04-19-2011 03:46 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice! I'll look for the book and will hopefully find a great deal sometime soon on Craig's List or eBay.

normasews 04-19-2011 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info. This is on my list of machines I would like to own.

eashka 04-29-2011 10:34 PM

I just got my FW this week. I had looked everywhere and confused myself so much that I finally just shut my eyes and pointed. I ended up buying one from an antique dealer and she was was great. My "goldie" hums right along and sews like a dream. I don't think you can go wrong because they are just like the little engine that could. You can't kill one if you try. I am so proud of mine and for piecing quilts she is the one I use.

teacherbailey 04-30-2011 04:04 AM

easka---I like your method! I'm just going to get one in good condition with lots of accessories and not worry about model.

DesiG 04-30-2011 06:14 AM

We have 2. both from the 50's, and I like that the throat plate has the seam markings on it. The older ones have more detailed decals and a scrolled face plate, but they are all beautiful :-)