Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight shopping and education. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-shopping-education-t308579.html)

PamelaOry 12-14-2019 06:32 AM

I’m curious and maybe you can speak to this: one reseller talked about refurbishing them, so basically taking everything apart and replacing a bunch of time-worn parts as well as thoroughly cleaning the rest And rewiring and such. The featherweight shoppe describes basically cleaning and oiling as their process. do they tend to need to have rewiring and replacing done? I want to buy a machine that is going to be good to go for years to come and so am willing to invest in having the appropriate work done, I’m just not sure what the appropriate work is.

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8340041)
A typical servicing can add $100 - $200 to the cost depending on what needs to be done. If the machine just needed basic cleaning and oiling then it's on the lower end, but if it needed electrical work too (and many do) then it's going to be more.

My husband is very thorough when he goes over one, and it takes him 4-5 hours if it doesn't need electrical work. He basically strips everything down and cleans any gunk off and polishes and re-oils. Then he adjusts tension/timing as needed and then he gives it to me for a good sewing trial. I usually make up a couple of nice test blocks to send with the machine.

I'll add that there are a lot of variations in how nice the machines sew. Usually those that are more worn end up sewing much smoother as they are well broken in compared to those that have prestine decals and look like they've never been used. Often when you get a repaint, you'll be getting a machine that was well broke in, and then it gets a very good cleaning - and you end up with a beautiful machine that sews very nice.

the last one my DH did was decent, the one before that I nicknamed Sweetheart as it was one of the nicest I've ever sewn on. Unfortunately it wasn't one of mine. :(

Innov8R 12-14-2019 08:10 AM

Luvstoquilt--Your discussion of your Featherweights almost brought me to tears. You see, I have a beautiful black Featherweight--the same one that my mother used to make my baby clothes. Mother passed it to me before she died because she knew how much it would mean to me to have it. My mother's name was Ruby.

AlaskaAlice 12-14-2019 08:56 AM

I have a black featherweight..It is a fantastic machine! I put a needle in backwards and it would not sew (Da.. a month ago..finally checked on line, after checking every other thing on the machine..after years of sewing on it and working with it..put the needle in wrong..They are wonderful machines!

Pat M. 12-14-2019 09:59 AM

Try and get the 201/black color, it was made a little bit better, later the cream/green colored one came out and it is hard wired and not as friendly for sewers. Just my opinion, as I have a few friends with the white/green and they are always tempramental. Not my friends, Haha.

leonf 12-14-2019 05:51 PM

unless you are absolutely sold on the FWs consider the 301. They are aluminum bodied, just a bit heavier with a deeper throat. Great machines and much cheaper, but again make sure it has the original bobbin case. Aftermarkets have a bad reputation.

PamelaOry 12-16-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdghall (Post 8340069)
I just won the pink featherweight!! Can't believe it! I have 2 black, 1938 & 1950. Have said I would like a white one but Pink will be wonderful..

congratulations! I bet you are over the moon excited.