Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight skipping stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-skipping-stitches-t107277.html)

Anne 08-03-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
FWs needs the Singer needle. There is a difference in the needle eye and length. I buy Singer needles to use just for my vintage Singers. Other brand will work but for perfect stitches try the Singer needles.

That was my thought also. I had read this a long time ago, and so I tell everyone that is sewing on a Singer, use SINGER needles. I just bought a FW and my DIL just bought a 15-91. I ordered us both Singer needles and correct type Singer bobbins. Good luck

kso 08-03-2011 07:02 PM

You need to try using a "hump jumper". When used before and after a seam, it keeps the presser foot level as it stitches over and completely crosses the hump caused by the seam you are stitching over.

pgthom 08-25-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by deema

Originally Posted by LindaR
MY FW hates bottomline bobbin thread...lots of skipped stitches..try another kind of thread

I don't really think it's a thread issue (I'm using connecting threads thread, by the way)...The reason I tend to think it isn't the thread is because I've been piecing with it for a week or two on this top and haven't had a single missed stitch or issue at all.

The ONLY place it's skipping is immediately after a seam. It has no trouble getting over the seam, but as soon as it's over it, it skips a bunch and sews fine until *just* after the next seam. I'm thinking it's more of a mechanical issue...it's like...

Ok, we're going good (2layers)...oh, here comes a seam...(4layers), still ok...WHAT!? Back to two layers!? skip skip skip skip...ok, I get it...sew just fine (2layers)...seam (4layers) is ok...WHAT?!

Like the machine can't handle the transition BACK to just two layers of fabric from the thicker seam. Once the back end of the presser foot is over the seam, it sews fine. Am I making sense? lol

Do you have a "hump jumper"? It is a small plastic device, thicker on one end, thinner on the other, both with "toes" that you sew between. (Hard to describe) I use it when shortening/ hemming jeans, which prevents the problem you are encountering. My main machine is a Viking. I think they sell them in the shops.
The problem arises when you go over the thicker seam area, and are descending, part of the foot is still up. The pressure is uneven, so a good stitch doesn't form. Hope this makes sense. PM me if you want me to send a pic of the hump jumper.

Crossstitcher 08-25-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom

MY FW hates bottomline bobbin thread...lots of skipped stitches..try another kind of thread

I don't really think it's a thread issue (I'm using connecting threads thread, by the way)...The reason I tend to think it isn't the thread is because I've been piecing with it for a week or two on this top and haven't had a single missed stitch or issue at all.

The ONLY place it's skipping is immediately after a seam. It has no trouble getting over the seam, but as soon as it's over it, it skips a bunch and sews fine until *just* after the next seam. I'm thinking it's more of a mechanical issue...it's like...

Ok, we're going good (2layers)...oh, here comes a seam...(4layers), still ok...WHAT!? Back to two layers!? skip skip skip skip...ok, I get it...sew just fine (2layers)...seam (4layers) is ok...WHAT?!

Like the machine can't handle the transition BACK to just two layers of fabric from the thicker seam. Once the back end of the presser foot is over the seam, it sews fine. Am I making sense? lol

Do you have a "hump jumper"? It is a small plastic device, thicker on one end, thinner on the other, both with "toes" that you sew between. (Hard to describe) I use it when shortening/ hemming jeans, which prevents the problem you are encountering. My main machine is a Viking. I think they sell them in the shops.
The problem arises when you go over the thicker seam area, and are descending, part of the foot is still up. The pressure is uneven, so a good stitch doesn't form. Hope this makes sense. PM me if you want me to send a pic of the hump jumper.

I have never in all the years I have been sewing heard of or seen a Hump Jumper foot. Where do you buy them? Would you please post a picture? Thanks

:shock:

abc123retired 08-25-2011 05:31 PM

I had to use a hump jumper, otherwise known as a thinga-ma-jig all the time on my Viking Rose and that's a more modern machine than a FW. It's a pain to use every seam when joining so that's why I only embroider on the Rose.

pgthom 08-25-2011 07:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by pgthom

Computer and I are not good friends lately...hope this works without any of my hair lost! Here's the "hump jumper". PM me if you have questions.

Tool from the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246840[/ATTACH]

From the side. See one end is thinner, one thicker
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246841[/ATTACH]

Going up the bump, thinner end being used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246842[/ATTACH]

Going off the bump, thicker end in use
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246843[/ATTACH]

In use, seen from the front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246844[/ATTACH]

annrook 08-25-2011 07:58 PM

Is the bobbin in the bobbin case backwards? My FW likes the thread coming off the bobbin to be going against itself to the first notch.

annrook 08-25-2011 08:02 PM

Also, check feed dogs for accumulation of lint. My FW was sewing funny with skipped stitches and varying stitch length. Repairman found bent needle, lint in feed dogs and bobbin in backwards. All fixed- my baby again sews like a charm.

Charlee 08-25-2011 08:10 PM

My FW hates Connecting Threads, no matter how much I try to convince it that it's great thread!
It's not overly fond of Superior either...but it sews like a dream for Coats and Clark... go figure!

Annaleehunter 08-25-2011 08:28 PM

My featherweight loves Gutterman thread. I get it when it is on sale. Where does everyone set their tension? My son dialed mine to zero and I can't remember where it was... It was sewing perfectly until Joshie made adjustments!