Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight- things to remember when buying (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-things-remember-when-buying-t241623.html)

Redsquirrel 02-20-2014 05:03 PM

Featherweight- things to remember when buying

1 Attachment(s)
Number 1 - offer a fair price, the worst that could happen is they say no.
Just picked up a really nice 1957 221k with case today for $130. She was asking $200, but I offered $130 "as is" and she accepted. Probably because she couldn't use it due to the bad thread jam that required me to take off the feed dog cover to get at. (it works perfect even the electrical)

Number 2- look for features you want
Its a newer featherweight that came with the graduated feed dog cover plate, so I will be putting it on my 1939 221 and using this one as a back up machine for friends and family. That is $45 in value right there.

Number 3- Make sure its all there
I met the lady in the parking lot at her work. No testing I'm really glad I took it out of the case and check that the bobbin case was in there. Because it wasn't. She was trying to sell the green box of attachments separate (which I didn't buy as I have duplicates anyways) and the bobbin case was in there. I made sure I grabbed it out of there, because getting original Samanco bobbin case is hard and expensive.

Number 4- Be prepared to replace minor things if needed
The only thing I have to replace is the foot bed cushions. Those are already on order from Sew Classic. Cost of $13 with shipping.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]463562[/ATTACH]

tessagin 02-20-2014 05:06 PM

She's pretty though. I like your choice of beverage.

Redsquirrel 02-20-2014 05:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Stella

J Miller 02-20-2014 06:01 PM

Sew .... basically it's no different than buying any other sewing machine. Right ...... :D

Joe

vanginney 02-20-2014 06:33 PM

Love the machine and the bottle choice!

Rodney 02-20-2014 08:05 PM

Good advice for any machine.
Missing bobbin cases can be a PITB to find replacements for even on well known models of machines.
Rodney

toverly 02-21-2014 05:07 AM

That's wise advice, thank you.

oldtnquiltinglady 02-21-2014 08:12 AM

I love it. I was about to go into a "jealous snit" until I looked over and realized you're in Canada. Oh well. My $275 was well worth it because we only had to drive 100 or so miles. I don't have to replace anything on the one I came home with--only the needle, and I found one in a pin cushion here in the house. Lucky you, lucky me.....

oldtnquiltinglady 02-21-2014 08:15 AM

And I forgot to mention that I looked up my serial number, it is from 1941, and looks to be one of the last models made before the Big War came along and all factories were converted to war making stuff, and no more were made until sometime in 1945. Anyone who knows anymore history, please chime in here.

callen 02-22-2014 05:25 AM

Good advice.