Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Fetherweight bobbin winding issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fetherweight-bobbin-winding-issue-t283985.html)

fktsewing 11-24-2016 05:27 AM

Fetherweight bobbin winding issue

I have a black featherweight from 1948. Recently, the bobbin winder seams to have trouble getting going when I start it and when I stop it and start again. It looks like the winder that touches the machine is black plastic. The belt is a fairly new one---bought a year ago but have not been using the machine a lot this last year.
I looked on the featherweight websites and they show mostly metal parts. The plastic wheel is smooth. Not sure what is happening. Yes, I checked how the thread is put through each part to wind bobbin.
Any ideas?

mawluv 11-24-2016 05:42 AM

Check your belt, it may be loose. I got my FW out to take to a class and started to wind a bobbin and it would start and stop. I tightened my belt and was back in business!!!! PM me if you need info on how to DIY.

Mickey2 11-24-2016 09:18 AM

Is the plastic wheel you describe more a metal wheel with a black rubber tire? That's what I would expect on a Featherweight. It pushes down on the hand wheel, and a few things can make it act up: oil on the rubber or hand wheel, which means wipe it off with a cloth. The rubber tire needs to be replaced sooner or later, but they can easily last a decade or two. There is an oil point in connection with the winder, a tiny hole you might have to poke clean with a tooth pick if it's clogged. The winder should turn very smoothly; if not it'a all about cleaning and oiling. The click action can need attention too, cleaning, oiling and sometimes adjusting (usually only when the tire has been replaced, they are usually not exactly the same width as the old ones). To begin with I would expect it's mostly about cleaning and oiling, but inspect all parts involved.

Cari-in-Oly 11-24-2016 11:33 AM

Mickey FWs don't use a bobbin tire.

Cari

Jennifer23 11-24-2016 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to hold my bobbin winder down to get it to work properly. Otherwise it doesn't have enough contact pressure to turn. I suppose there must be a way to fix this, but I haven't figured it out... holding it down is the easy solution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562718[/ATTACH]

carolynjo 11-25-2016 10:38 AM

I had the same problem with my machine. I discovered that the machine oil had caused the little rollert to become "mushy". A new wheel fixed the problem. Be sure to get a new wheel and be sure to push it down far enough to make contact with the wheel. You shouldn't have to hold it down if you get a new wheel.

Cari-in-Oly 11-25-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 7705998)
I had the same problem with my machine. I discovered that the machine oil had caused the little rollert to become "mushy". A new wheel fixed the problem. Be sure to get a new wheel and be sure to push it down far enough to make contact with the wheel. You shouldn't have to hold it down if you get a new wheel.

Just like I told Mickey in a message above, a FW doesn't use a bobbin tire so it can't get "mushy". In the pic that Jennifer posted, her arrow is almost pointing directly at the little hole on the bobbin winder where a tiny drop of oil should occasionally be added. It sometimes gets all gummed up in there and the bobbin winder doesn't want to spin freely, that's often why the winder doesn't want to wind.

Cari

fktsewing 11-26-2016 10:37 AM

Ok, DH oiled spot for bobbin winder. He also tightened the belt
the wheel has always spun freely, even before. Should there be tension on the arm itself--it will not stay up
when sewing regularly--tried to tighten screw on left side of winder, but dh cannot budge it at all--should we be able to?
Help is greatly appreciated

Cari-in-Oly 11-26-2016 11:34 AM

The belt on a FW should be as loose as it can be without slipping. Any tighter and it puts strain on the motor.

Cari

fktsewing 11-26-2016 07:24 PM

He did not tighten the belt a lot, just enough as it was slipping