Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   a few I passed on, and one I didn't, oh Brother! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/few-i-passed-one-i-didnt-oh-brother-t231838.html)

oldsewnsew 10-05-2013 10:46 PM

a few I passed on, and one I didn't, oh Brother!

4 Attachment(s)
passed, [ATTACH=CONFIG]439884[/ATTACH] $29, too much, a little odd
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439885[/ATTACH]
passed, only $12 though, cog belts underneath, made in GB
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439886[/ATTACH]
passed, but only $15, thinking a little about one of the cabinets, maybe. and I don't have a Singer removeable cam machine yet...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439887[/ATTACH]
I couldn't help it, was the 1st find of the day, I tested sewing with it, so it followed me home for $18.
It's a Brother "Prestige" . It's really pretty clean, and seems to work fine, I need to figure out the button holer switch though, which means digging for a manual. Maybe it needs one of those little buttonholder attachement feet to set the length or something?? It's also surprising to me that there is no removable top cover, it's just a paint job. what little there is for levers is behind the selector.

trivia42 10-05-2013 11:28 PM

I am seriously jealous of your thrift stores! All I can find lately are singers from the 70's if there are any at all.

mlmack 10-06-2013 01:49 AM

Got any other pictures of the first one?

Those are almost too cheap to pass up, and I would have gone for the second machine, even though the cabinet is missing a drawer, and likely the third one as well.

Vridar 10-06-2013 05:32 AM

I'd have gone for the first one just for the oddity of it. What was the brand?

mighty 10-06-2013 06:39 AM

Wow I wish our thrift stores would have machines.

wolph33 10-06-2013 06:50 AM

wow-ours never have anything -you have a great thrift store-congrats on your new baby

Candace 10-06-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6333207)
passed, [ATTACH=CONFIG]439884[/ATTACH] $29, too much, a little odd
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439885[/ATTACH]
passed, only $12 though, cog belts underneath, made in GB
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439886[/ATTACH]
passed, but only $15, thinking a little about one of the cabinets, maybe. and I don't have a Singer removeable cam machine yet...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439887[/ATTACH]
It's also surprising to me that there is no removable top cover, it's just a paint job. what little there is for levers is behind the selector.

The top cover and side cover are one unit and should be removable as one part. There should be a few screws you need to remove and likely the foot pressure knob on the top.

oldsewnsew 10-06-2013 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6333232)
Got any other pictures of the first one?

Those are almost too cheap to pass up, and I would have gone for the second machine, even though the cabinet is missing a drawer, and likely the third one as well.

yep[ATTACH=CONFIG]440026[/ATTACH]
I think it was labeled as a Free Westinghouse, it was interesting, sort of, but i need to clear some room to work. soon. before it's too late

oldsewnsew 10-06-2013 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6333822)
The top cover and side cover are one unit and should be removable as one part. There should be a few screws you need to remove and likely the foot pressure knob on the top.

there's a heavy cat sitting on my shoulder, or I'd walk over and double check what I'm saying,...but seriously, it's all one piece of metal, except for the hinged needlebar/presser foot/light bulb cover. I'm 85% sure. There are no screws on top[ATTACH=CONFIG]440028[/ATTACH] Dislodged cat, doublechecked, smooooth top to bottom. Just removeable access plate below spool holder and selector plate. I said it worked well, but actually it's been giving some grief, with tensioning. And it seems as though the bobbin case that was in it, wouldn't actually allow for free spinning of all bobbins, so I pulled one from another machine and it's much better. Still, zigzag at maximum width, will skip some stitches.

Quilter Day-by-Day 10-07-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by trivia42 (Post 6333212)
I am seriously jealous of your thrift stores! All I can find lately are singers from the 70's if there are any at all.

Me too the ones here are anywhere from 25.00--75.00