Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fifty-two-more-derelicts-put-back-work-one-way-another-t245868.html)

miriam 04-27-2014 12:51 PM

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

2 Attachment(s)
A couple years ago I went to an auction. It was the only auction I have ever been to. There were a couple hay wagons full of old machines. The auctioneer took his sweet time getting to them, too. So after a 6 hour wait the auctioneer started in on the tables that were standing around the wagons. I won my share of them because no body wanted tables. Then he started in on the machines on the wagons. He took the top few high bids and let the bidders choose, then he took some more bids and let the top few bidders choose. I got a few machines. Yippie! Then he looked at me and said $XXXX for all of the machines. I sat and thought and counted and thought and thought... meanwhile an Amish man said he would take the deal. So I thought some more and decided NOT to bid against him. I guess I must have given the Amish man's wife my address some time that day - anyway he sent a letter a few days later wanting to know how to repair sewing machines. I figured he was a little late in thinking about that one... but I told him he could learn a lot on Quilt Board.

Fast forward. Last week I got another letter from the Amish man wanting to know if I wanted to buy the left over left over machines from the auction - after I got done laughing my head off.... well.. we decided to go after the machines. Yes he did keep the good stuff.... It was a very nice day to sit around waiting for the Amish family to come home from their school picnic. Oh well after a long drive it was nice to have some peace and quiet plus we visited with the truck driver who the Amish man had arranged to pick up some calves until the truck driver left out of frustration because nobody was home. When the Amish family finally came home they were mostly in a wagon with one kid on a scooter leading them up the drive. He was a miniature of his dad minus the beard. He was about 7 or so - cute as a button. Well maybe its the beard... OK. SO. We finished working out our deal. Then 9 of the 11 cute kids helped load our truck. We had a procession from their shop loft to the truck. I wish I could have put it on video. Picture little Amish kids and big Amish kids hauling sewing machines. The little kids got the light weight machines and parts. They were very cute. We loaded about 52 machines. I think it was a good thing I didn't win that bid - back then I would have been totally overwhelmed. Right now I'm glad he was the one to store them all this time. Sorry no pics or videos of kids hauling machines you will have to figure that one out on your own. But here is a picture of the truck full of machines:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473251[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473252[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-27-2014 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so we have them sorted by the ones that will be for sure parted out:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473253[/ATTACH]
Not to worry they have been moved inside the garage for awhile.
And then there are some I think I will tinker with:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473254[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-27-2014 12:55 PM

OK so what are they? I'm not sure - there are a lot of them. We brushed the dirt and dust off the ones we parked in the breezeway so I shot a few pictures of them. I doubt if I shot pics of all of them so keep tuned and I'll post more pics soon.

miriam 04-27-2014 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There were a few Singer 66s - as I get to them there are some interesting things in that bunch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473255[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-27-2014 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a Singer 15 and a Singer 115. The Singer 15 is pretty derelict. It might have a good part on it somewhere... I think the Singer 115 had a motor prolapse - I can relate...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473256[/ATTACH]

MaureenT 04-27-2014 01:03 PM

Just amazing!!

miriam 04-27-2014 01:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There New Home machines:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473257[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473258[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473259[/ATTACH]

Tartan 04-27-2014 01:04 PM

Oh my, you have your work cut out for you! I see an old Singer Touch and Sew like the one my mother upgraded to after her old black Singer clone.

miriam 04-27-2014 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Standard:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473260[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-27-2014 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the little Regal is very cute:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473263[/ATTACH]