Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Flea Market Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/flea-market-find-t262708.html)

Evy 03-16-2015 06:27 AM

Flea Market Find

2 Attachment(s)
We were "junking" yesterday and my husband spotted an old Singer in a cherry wood cabinet. Since he is a woodworker the cabinet attracted him. We bought it for $100 and as we were leaving the vendor said "Here, take this stuff too". It not only has all the attachments but the original manual. I looked up the serial number and it is a model 66, built in 1954. I had to try it and it sews smoother than my electronic machines! Now I have to decide whether to keep or craigslist it. Selling it was the original idea after hubby cleaned up the cabinet, but this is a great little machine. It has the knee control and a foot control.

Sorry the photos are so large.

Heather Elaine 03-16-2015 06:31 AM

I would have to keep it myself, to go with the six other machines I have.

Evy 03-16-2015 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Heather Elaine (Post 7129574)
I would have to keep it myself, to go with the six other machines I have.

If I keep it this makes number 5!

KenmoreRulesAll 03-16-2015 06:36 AM

With some shellac work, that machine and table would be pristine. Beautiful. Score!!

Sewnoma 03-16-2015 06:36 AM

Nice! I have a 99 from the same year that matches your 66! (the 99 is the 3/4 size version of the 66).

They're good solid machines...a little cleaning and some grease and she'll be a great machine to sew on! There are some stickies in this forum about how to clean the machine head without destroying the gold decals. Your decals are on the simpler side, but they look like they're in really good shape! Nice that you got the manual too, that will show you everywhere to grease and oil the machine.

Looks like a nice cabinet too, I like that small size. I want to find one similar for my Rocketeer.

tropit 03-16-2015 06:45 AM

That's the sewing machine I grew up sewing on. I even think that the cabinet was cherry too. That machine will go and go and will take all the abuse that a kid can give it. Trust me, I know! :)

~ Cindy

NJ Quilter 03-16-2015 07:15 AM

If I didn't already have one, I'd be keeping it myself as well! Nice score.

Crqltr 03-16-2015 07:29 AM

I would keep just for the knee control..

tessagin 03-16-2015 07:39 AM

I would keep it. Doesn't look like it needs much work at all. Just regular maintenance. Oil a lube and polish the cabinet. Great score!!

Rodney 03-16-2015 07:44 AM

66s are great piecing machines. I think you may have answered your own question with "...I had to try it and it sews smoother than my electronic machines!.....". The old straight stitch machines only do one thing but they do it very well. I also prefer a knee controller over a foot controller. I would keep it.
Rodney