Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Foot Controller Rewiring Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/foot-controller-rewiring-tutorial-t216504.html)

grant15clone 03-16-2013 07:20 AM

Foot Controller Rewiring Tutorial

10 Attachment(s)
How to rewire a Foot Controller, Step By Step in Pictures. With Text instructions.

I got lucky and was able to get the back plate off in one piece. This shows how it is wired from the factory. I always take a picture before I start cutting anything. If need be, you can always refer back to it if you have a question on how it was wired originally.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402012[/ATTACH]

These wires were riveted on. Cut the wire about an inch from the end and strip off the insulation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402013[/ATTACH]

With the insulation off, twist the wires so they are neatly wound together without any stray strands hanging out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402014[/ATTACH]

Use flux and electrical solder and "Tin" the wires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402015[/ATTACH]

Trim off the excess length.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402016[/ATTACH]

"Tin" the ends of the new wires that are to be soldered on to the old wires that have already have been "Tinned" and solder them together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402017[/ATTACH]

This shows the new wires soldered together with the old and back in the fixture. Make sure that you put a knot in the wires so they don't get pulled out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402021[/ATTACH]

Tuck the wires in and put the cover back on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402020[/ATTACH]

Tin the ends of the wires that are going to the foot controller itself. Pull the wires into the foot controller and make a safety knot. Bend the newly tinned wires to form a loop. I wrap them around a screwdriver shaft to get a more uniform curve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402022[/ATTACH]

Connect the ends to the terminals wrapping the wire around in a clockwise direction. This will prevent the wire from slipping off as you tighten the screw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402023[/ATTACH]

To Be Continued.....

grant15clone 03-16-2013 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished! I like to use new extension cords to rewire these. I cut off the female end so I have a nice factory plug end. It is safer, neater, and looks good too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402025[/ATTACH]

I hope this helps.
~Grant~
p.s. I am sorry about the font problem at the top.

Candace 03-16-2013 08:06 AM

Thanks for the tute.

J Miller 03-16-2013 09:15 AM

I've done a number of those cord blocks too. I do them a bit different, but that's a good easy way.

Joe

QuiltnNan 03-17-2013 03:57 AM

thanks for the tutorial. this is such valuable information, i copied the tut to the Tutorials Forum. but the pictures didn't come out quite right.... but they are all still there.

grant15clone 03-17-2013 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5933572)
thanks for the tutorial. this is such valuable information, i copied the tut to the Tutorials Forum. but the pictures didn't come out quite right.... but they are all still there.

Thank you Nancy. I also did a Tutorial on Rewiring motors. Maybe I should try to put that one in there too.
~G~