Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Found my Willcox & Gibbs!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/found-my-willcox-gibbs-t103305.html)

heyjami 02-27-2011 08:42 PM

She's from 1898 according to the sewalot site.
Tonight I oiled her and cleaned up a bit of the chrome.

I haven't settled on a name yet. :-) All in good time.

Paisleyc 02-27-2011 09:31 PM

Never seen one like this. Can I ask a silly question? Are you a collector or do you use them to quilt?
I can see that the way they are made might make it easier to quilt with.
Carol from NC

Paisleyc 02-27-2011 09:31 PM

Never seen one like this. Can I ask a silly question? Are you a collector or do you use them to quilt?
I can see that the way they are made might make it easier to quilt with.
Carol from NC

luckylindy333 02-27-2011 09:33 PM

She's a beauty, all right!

Pats8e8 02-27-2011 09:35 PM

I have a Wilcox-Gibbs also. Looks pretty much the same. I have sewn with it, it does a chain stitch only. Mine works well, how about more pictures of your cabinet? I got mine for my 50th birthday, won't tell how many years ago that was. ha

gertz 02-27-2011 10:08 PM

That is totally awesome. I have never seen one like it and I am 70 plus. Great job. She looks like a Sarah to me.

katigirl 02-28-2011 12:23 AM

Whoa. That sure is a unique and interesting one. How old is it?

JANW 02-28-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by heyjami
Hmmm, it came with it's original manual and there is nothing in there about sewing hats. What lead you to believe that it was a hat sewing machine? Maybe you know something I need to learn! ;-)

Please share....

Originally Posted by JANW
So pretty, but this is a hat sewing machine, do you plan to use it or add to a collection?

That is what several sites said when I Googled it, but could be wrong.

heyjami 02-28-2011 07:20 AM

Born in 1898 according to the sewsalot site.

The manual contains full instructions on using it to sew everything like a normal straight stitch - even decorative stitches! The underside reveals the chain stitch. There are a few attachments and I have a box that I had waiting for it.

I will try to use it as the manual suggests. :-) I too have my favorite everyday machines so we'll see what happens after I take it for a run. I have another chain stitcher (Singer model 24) and I hardly use it - I like to look at it and admire it, but it hasn't been used much. Well, to be fair, it could be that the belt broke and I haven't put the new belt on it yet. I have some chicken appliques that need decorative stitching added to the outlines.

Originally Posted by katigirl
Whoa. That sure is a unique and interesting one. How old is it?

mary 02-28-2011 07:45 AM

love it all. especially the foot pedal on the cabinet.. Pretty