Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   FW 221cord (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fw-221cord-t221108.html)

love 2 sew 05-09-2013 10:23 AM

FW 221cord

The cord & plug for my machine are in great shape but original. Is it necessary for me to have them replaced?
I make sure it's unplugged when I'm not in the room.
Is that good enough?
Thanks
Joan

J Miller 05-09-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by love 2 sew (Post 6054566)
The cord & plug for my machine are in great shape but original. Is it necessary for me to have them replaced?
I make sure it's unplugged when I'm not in the room.
Is that good enough?
Thanks
Joan

Joan,

If the cord is in good condition there's no need to replace it. But keep an eye on it. Keeping it unplugged is good enough.

On the machines I run and work on I don't replace the cords unless they need to be replaced.

Joe

Mom3 05-09-2013 06:24 PM

After having an iron that was plugged in but "off" catch on fire I unplug anything and everything if I'm not using it - just a safety thing.

tenngal 05-10-2013 02:48 PM

I don't replace mine unless they have a worn place on them, but I DO ALWAYS make sure they're unplugged. I bought surge protectors for all of my rooms so that I don't have to wear out my FW plugs.

J Miller 05-10-2013 04:25 PM

My surge protector saved my work area from a lot of grief not long ago.

I plugged in a machine I should not have and the sparks, fire ball, and smoke flew from the machine and my area went dark when the breaker in the surge bar tripped. Almost melted the cord block connections. I was able to repair them when I rewired the machine.

That taught me to check the wires BEFORE I test the machine.

Scared the crap outta me too.

Joe

BarbaraSue 05-11-2013 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=J Miller

"That taught me to check the wires BEFORE I test the machine.

Scared the crap outta me too."

I am sure it did. I would have trouble plugging anything in for a while. Glad to know that you were able to fix that. You have a gift with the machines Joe.

nancia 05-11-2013 10:17 AM

i'm replacing the wire, foot and plug-ins on the '48 featherweight i just acquired. since the cord has compromised insulation, should i worry about anything being rotted in the motor? it runs fine and i haven't seen smoke, but that seems a little too late, when you do. it's a simple machine and not too many places that can go all that wrong, but what should i be looking for? i am saving all the original parts, just want to be sure it's safe to use.

J Miller 05-11-2013 10:47 AM

nancia,

The only thing to check in the motor is the brushes. Carefully remove them and check them for length and also check the springs and caps. Add lube, ( Singer Motor Lube in the tube only ) and it should be go to go.
Don't need to take it apart if it's running good.

You don't really need to replace the foot controller unless it's bad or you just don't like it.

Joe

J Miller 05-11-2013 10:49 AM

BarbaraSue,

I'm not real comfortable with household voltage. Car wiring is not a problem, but household is a different thing.
Normally I check everything for damaged, or decayed wiring before I power them up, but this time I didn't. I learned.

Joe