Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   FW bobbin cases, originals and reproductions, questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fw-bobbin-cases-originals-reproductions-questions-t230636.html)

oldsewnsew 09-19-2013 09:26 PM

FW bobbin cases, originals and reproductions, questions

2 Attachment(s)
So I have to FW's, one is 1950-51, the other 1955-56, and a 301. I haven't spent more than $10 on the worst FW, everything from motor to presser foot, to bobbin winder was stuck, hard. But now, it actually stitches, a wee bit of non FW-like clatter, a little play in the gears I think. But I like the fact that she could be used by someone, without being paranoid about damaging something. I would like to get her working as well as possible though. To this end, I need to replace badly rusted tension disks. I'd also like to have at least one, really nice bobbin case/hook assy.
So when I look at Ebay and various vendor sites, they show vintage Simanco parts as well as new repros that aren't generally thought highly of. I notice my 3 machines have 3 different bobbin variations.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436987[/ATTACH]
The one on the left, from 301, is marked Simanco USA 45750, has slanted face below latch.
The mid one, from '50 FW is marked Simanco USA 45750, on a squared face below latch.
The third one, from '55 FW is only marked Japan, inverted above latch, with a slanted face below latch.
The third one also has tighter clearances where the thread is pulled down through tension leaf spring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436988[/ATTACH]
They all seem to work fine, but I haven't pushed them through any large projects yet, just testing.
The hook assys on the FW's both required quite a bit of polishing and rust removal.
The question is, what are the shortcomings of the reproduction parts? Is the one marked Japan an early repro or could it be a part from a late FW that weren't marked? Are all repro parts presently sold, of questionable quality?
Thanks
Jim

oldsewnsew 09-20-2013 04:58 AM

Oh, furthermore on the reproduction parts, looking at online sources, there are at least 2 variants, both only marked as 45751 instead of 45750, but with both styles of that little feature below the latch, either vertical or slanted. So both of the original styles are copied, but according to some reputable vendors, there is only one overseas source at present. So maybe that's not true, or whatever Chinese source there is, gets them from more than one job shop...
What present experiences does anyone have to share about these.( To be fair, Probably best not to cast any specific negative comments out there in regards to any particular vendor??) Just does anyone feel really positive about their substitutes?

Candace 09-20-2013 06:51 AM

I would only buy a repro one that has been tested to work correctly. Or from a vendor that is known to stand by the product and accept returns. They're currently made in China with low or no quality control and if I'm going to spend $40-$50, I'd prefer a vintage one. I had to buy a case for my 301 and I was patient and found an original case for close to the amount you'd spend on a repro.

Sheluma 09-20-2013 07:01 AM

I'm sorry I can't answer most of your questions, but this is an interesting comparison. I think the one marked Japan must be a replacement. I don't think this bobbin case was used in any machines other than 221, 222 and 301, and I feel certain that Singer wasn't using parts from Japan at that time (and maybe they never did, I don't know).

I also wanted to mention, on the off chance that you don't already know -- the bobbin case for the 221 and 301 are the same, but the bobbin case base is not.

Jenny at Sew Classic has a good reputation for sourcing quality repros. There is also a parts dealer (for originals) that I read about on Rain's blog. I could find that link again, if you don't already have it. What is the cost difference between the repros and the originals? I haven't had to buy one of these parts (yet, knock on wood), but I think I would feel the same as Candace. And patience is a good thing, too, if you buy on ebay.

Tiggersmom 09-21-2013 09:20 AM

I bought a part from a gentleman in England that deals in FW that he has salvaged parts from. I got great customer service and a very fair price, sorry I can't remember his name but I found him on the internet. He has a shop and does this for a living. We emailed several times on a specific issue and he was wonderful. If I can find his info I will send it to you.
Best wishes,
Jennifer

Sheluma 09-22-2013 01:05 AM

It appears that 45751 and 45750 are both original singer parts. Here is a page from
Featherweight Early Rotary Hook, Bobbin Case Parts, Throat Plate Parts Page #9, 1933 singer 221 via
http://www.singeroriginalvintageprod...wingparts.aspx

nanna-up-north 09-22-2013 05:09 AM

I recently bought a bobbin case for my 15-91 from Jenny at sew-classic. The lifter was bent on the old one and keept catching the thread as it went around the bobbin case..... it was very inexpensive. So, I looked to see the cost of a bobbin case for your 221..... WOW! What a difference in price.

If it were me, I'd try to clean up the ones you have first.... then, if I had to, I'd go ahead a buy one. The main goal is to get it working well, right?

oldsewnsew 09-22-2013 09:09 PM

Thanks so much for that lead! I notice that is the squared off features, and it looks like Singer marked that one part, while maybe the aftermarket repros are marking the number on them for the whole assembly. I wonder if the one I have that is marked Japan, is a later model replacement part used by repair shops. It was definitely vintage, rusty like the rest of the machine.

Macybaby 09-23-2013 05:25 AM

Singer has a tendency to number everything! So what it looks like is part 45751 is the COMPLETE assembly. it is made up of parts 45750, 206735, 206737 and probably several others.

Same with part 45748, it is the complete assembly made up of parts 45747, 45746 and several others.

It is also likely that 45751 is not actually stamped on any of them, as each part in the assembly has it's individual number stamped on it. (when Singer could do it)

I've collected a lot with attachments that are made of of several parts, and this is the normal way Singer does it.

Sheluma 09-23-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6308839)
Thanks so much for that lead! I notice that is the squared off features, and it looks like Singer marked that one part, while maybe the aftermarket repros are marking the number on them for the whole assembly. I wonder if the one I have that is marked Japan, is a later model replacement part used by repair shops. It was definitely vintage, rusty like the rest of the machine.

I think you're right -- the Japan parts available today are also stamped 45751.

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6309224)
Singer has a tendency to number everything! So what it looks like is part 45751 is the COMPLETE assembly. it is made up of parts 45750, 206735, 206737 and probably several others.

Same with part 45748, it is the complete assembly made up of parts 45747, 45746 and several others.

It is also likely that 45751 is not actually stamped on any of them, as each part in the assembly has it's individual number stamped on it. (when Singer could do it)

I've collected a lot with attachments that are made of of several parts, and this is the normal way Singer does it.

Waste not want not. If all the parts are numbered, they can be replaced individually instead of replacing the whole assembly. Singer did the same thing with accessories. A kit of two or more parts had it's own separate part number, and each part in the kit had it's own number. (Like the darning feet w/ cover plate kits.) Unfortunately they didn't (probably couldn't) stamp screws with part numbers. I don't think I'll ever find the screws for my early zig zag attachment. The attachment appeals to me because it seems like it won't mar the paint when it's on the machine. I'm of two minds about it, though. Either it's not very good and that's why it was replaced, or it works as well or better than the newer ones but it was replaced because it needed 2 screws to attach it. It also looks like it might be awkward to reach around it to raise the foot, cut threads, etc.