Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Getting Excited! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/getting-excited-t238988.html)

Rach L. 01-16-2014 03:55 PM

Getting Excited!

Tomorrow I get to go pick up my Two Spools, assuming the spool can is there. :D However, I also have the opportunity to get a Singer 301. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the 301? I would love to get a 201, but I think I'll be satisfied with the 301...at least for a little bit. :rolleyes: I'm looking for an electric model that can handle heavier fabrics (mostly denim), but will also be good for FMQ. I know price is relative to area, but for a mostly rural midwest town, is 175 too much? Thanks!

Candace 01-16-2014 05:01 PM

We really don't do prices here. Why don't you look on ebay to get an idea. Also, do a search using the search feature above and you'll see there are many threads on the 301.

jlhmnj 01-16-2014 05:32 PM

Rach,

Post a pic if you can, as there's a world of difference in the 301. The long bed with the grass case and serviced go for quite a bit more than the shortbed and cabinet and sitting for 30 years. I've paid $5-$50 for the 4 shortbed / cabinet I've bought. Make sure it has the bobbin case as it's worth close to $50 alone. Ebay is a good place to price and/or shop but consider how much work the machine will need and if the seller has a good shipping track record will lots of feedback. 301's are a great machine but lots are out there, I'd hustle over to the 2 Spools myself.

Jon

Rach L. 01-16-2014 06:31 PM

Jon,
Thank you for the information! Here is a pic of the one I have been considering. I have checked eBay, but of course, it's hard to know whom to trust, then there is always the issue of shipping. I've also noticed that some people LOVE to inflate prices beyond absurdity, so it's hard to get an idea of worth from there. This lady, like everyone, states that it runs really well, it's been serviced, etc. Of course, I'll try it out first before buying. Thanks again for the kind feedback!

Candace,
Being new to the "vintage word" of sewing machines, I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask questions and get some thoughts. While I do watch eBay, I am skeptical for reasons I mentioned above. In addition, being new to this site, I don't know what's all where, and the information available. I guess I thought that a place for vintage enthusiasts would welcome any question. I apologize if it's a question that has been asked 500 times, but I find that getting feedback from other owners of machines I'm interested in is the best way of learning. As I learn more about this website, I'll find more information along the way, the more I'm able to explore, and sound dumb asking common questions. Regarding price, I see people asking about prices all the time, so I had no idea that "we don't really do prices here".

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_k...q6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00K0K_f...P0_600x450.jpg

vmaniqui 01-16-2014 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. (Post 6516958)
Jon,
Thank you for the information! Here is a pic of the one I have been considering. I have checked eBay, but of course, it's hard to know whom to trust, then there is always the issue of shipping. I've also noticed that some people LOVE to inflate prices beyond absurdity, so it's hard to get an idea of worth from there. This lady, like everyone, states that it runs really well, it's been serviced, etc. Of course, I'll try it out first before buying. Thanks again for the kind feedback!

Candace,
Being new to the "vintage word" of sewing machines, I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask questions and get some thoughts. While I do watch eBay, I am skeptical for reasons I mentioned above. In addition, being new to this site, I don't know what's all where, and the information available. I guess I thought that a place for vintage enthusiasts would welcome any question. I apologize if it's a question that has been asked 500 times, but I find that getting feedback from other owners of machines I'm interested in is the best way of learning. As I learn more about this website, I'll find more information along the way, the more I'm able to explore, and sound dumb asking common questions. Regarding price, I see people asking about prices all the time, so I had no idea that "we don't really do prices here".

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_k...q6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00K0K_f...P0_600x450.jpg

rachel,

there is no dumb question. i am also a newbie but slowly starting to get firm footing on how to buy and deal with antique sewing machines with the help of forum members here. trust me, they're all helpful. rodney, steveh, manicmike, macybaby, sunflowers, gretchen, to name a few. whoever i missed that i came across and helped me, pardon me but you all know who you are and thank you all.

as they all say, there is no fix price and no good or bad price. it's how much you're willing to pay and i guess the real key is, if it makes you happy getting the machine, then go for it. but my honest opinion on the 301 - it's on the high price for the simple reason that i was able to buy one for $40 in good condition (but without the extra attachments). another thing i will tell you is, don't jump too soon on a machine that you think has a good price as there will be more that will come you're way. i learned it the first time i bought my singer sewing machine. it was listed for $50 but i was able to buy it for $47. weeks after, there were far more better deal that i could have had. now my price range is on the $20-100. beyond that price it should be a really nice and in excellent condition machine. you will learn as you go along. i am still at a learning curve but gained so much knowledge about sewing machines from the members here. they're just awesome. oh on another thing, you can really get a cheap antique sewing machine but you need a lot of elbow grease but that i am willing to take as it's a learning process for me also. just my 2 cents.

Rach L. 01-16-2014 07:07 PM

I too have had positive experiences here on this board. I have been given a wealth of information, and I thank all of those who take the time to reply to my posts, or answer yet another one of my questions (many are those you mentioned). I am a new "convert" to the vintage world; I mean, I only recently changed my mind on a new Babylock Ellure Plus. There is so much to learn about sewing, and the machines, that I find the best way to find out information, is to ask. Although, I admit that I feel stupid with some of my questions. I tend to NOT look before I leap, that's why I keep asking about machines available in my area. I'm also so nervous about eBay, that I try not to rely on that site for price brackets, or too trigger happy buying there. I know in time I'll learn more, but for now, I'm happy to read replies, and answers that have been posted by the more seasoned vintage collectors and enthusiasts. Thank you to all you guys, and thanks for putting up with my newbie posts!

jlhmnj 01-16-2014 07:55 PM

Nice looking 301, if you have time I'd personally shop some more. 301 or a 15 class is the way to go for FMQ from what I hear, 201 mixed reviews.

Jon

nanna-up-north 01-16-2014 08:10 PM

Just to pop in and give a comment. Don't take offense about people not giving prices on certain machines. We all have found that prices vary so much depending on location, condition, and desire. So, it's really impossible to say what a certain machine is worth. I tend to look for pretty cheap machines and have been very lucky finding machines I want to buy for $50 or less. And all of them have only required cleaning and at the most, $15 for parts. The featherweight is an exception to that amount..... I've paid up to $280 for a FW. I do agree with having lots of patience. Once you find a machine you've been longing for, several will pop up at cheaper prices in better condition..... murphy's law, you know.

But saying that, many of us vintage buyers will pay the premium price for that one perfect machine that haunts us till we have it. Let us know what you decide..... we'll cheer you on when you get another gem, cry with you when you pass one up that you really wanted, and jump on the bandwagon helping you hunt for the next purchase.

nanna-up-north 01-16-2014 08:15 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention...... my favorite machine for FMQ is the 15. I have 2 15-91s. One is at the summer cabin cause I do FMQ in the summer and winter. The bobbin can be changed while the quilt stays in place, bobbin snarls are super easy to clear up, you can drop the feed dog easily, and I don't have another machine that quilts without making tucks on my quilt..... even the fancy $1000 machine I bought 10 years ago.

amcatanzaro 01-16-2014 09:30 PM

As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't pay an eBay price for anything in a store. It's a good place to get a starting idea of price but in a nutshell, it's what you are going to feel comfortable paying.
301's seem to come in a range of prices. The low end is the short beds and the high end is the black long bed. Plus or minus for complete/cabinet/case/extras.
I would keep looking but if you must have now, go for it.