Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Golden Star machine by AG Mason (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/golden-star-machine-ag-mason-t278365.html)

ndnchf 05-05-2016 04:55 AM

Golden Star machine by AG Mason

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know about these machines? I found a very nice one locally, but know nothing about it. When where they made? Are they good working machines? It looks complete, but I have not inquired on details yet. Appreciate your opinions.

ndnchf 05-05-2016 05:42 AM

I should add that I've found a brief company bio, but not much detail. Apparently they were sold under many badge names. Would like to hear from anyone who has a similar machine. Thanks.

WIChix 05-05-2016 03:21 PM

That is beautiful!

ndnchf 05-05-2016 04:39 PM

Yes it is, the cabinet looks just as nice. It seems this machine saw very little use.

jlhmnj 05-05-2016 11:30 PM

Unusually nice. This is a Vibrating shuttle model made by White and distributed by AG Mason. Uses a 20x1 needle but a common 15x1 will also work if lowered a bit. Shuttle and bobbins are unique to White. I'd guess made in the 1910's but the serial number can be dated. White made excellent machines and were very popular, perhaps 2nd to Singer in machines sold. Top notch cabinet work.

Jon

ndnchf 05-06-2016 01:42 AM

Great - thanks. I may go look at it this weekend. I don't really need another machine, but it seems too nice to pass up ;-)

Macybaby 05-06-2016 03:07 PM

I've got the same machine with the name New Queen on it. It was my first "non Singer" and what sent me down the slippery slope of top clamp machines!

ndnchf 05-06-2016 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm glad to hear from some who owns one because I just bought it! It is in really great shape, including the cabinet. It came with a box full of attachments and the original manual. The shuttle is inside, but there is only one bobbin. How do I identify which bobbin it is, so I know what to look for?

I'm excited to get this little jewel. It just needs a gentle cleaning, lubrication and a new belt.

Cathy - can you offer any tips for setting it up and using it? Thanks.

jlhmnj 05-06-2016 04:23 PM

Very nice! The bobbin will have a hollow core and the shuttle has a pin inside running it's length for the hollow core bobbin to fit over. This is unique to White and ebay usually has some available. Looks like you have a few different needles, the proper one is 1-3/4". The owners manual is a good starting point for oiling and machine operation. Also Muv has an excellent Sticky.

Jon

ndnchf 05-06-2016 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering about the different needles. Two are 1-3/4 and two are a little over 1/2. Thanks for clearing that up. I found two shuttles; a boat that the one bobbin seems to fit it, and a bullet. I have no bobbins for the bullet. I'll check ebay for them. Is the boat shuttle for an earlier machine? Boy, I'm learning a lot today!