Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Good deal for $80 ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/good-deal-%2480-t228857.html)

manicmike 08-27-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianGirl (Post 6258123)
IMHO it is a good deal at $80. ...The button holer, box of accessories and manual also add to the value.

Yes, I also think it's a bargain. Have a look at what the accessories go for on ebay.

mlmack 08-27-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6258891)
Yes, I also think it's a bargain. Have a look at what the accessories go for on ebay.

Oh yeah? I have 2 or 3 extra boxes of accessories.

DogHouseMom 08-27-2013 03:01 PM

I'd snatch that up in a heart beat. The machine is a 15-91 which means it has the potted motor - this motor has gears inside the machine pillar (think "direct-drive") so no belt (and no belt slipping). It's a good, strong, solid machine. The cabinet is a small one, but it's nice.

Cogito 08-27-2013 03:05 PM

It is an excellent deal and I would scoop it up in a heartbeat! Comes with the nice cabinet (yes, probably original, I have same model in same cabinet.), the stool, the accessories, AND two original Singer manuals? Yep, grab it now before too late. By the way though, it appears the wiring is the smooth flat kind which means it has aluminum wiring inside and it would be worth replacing. Still not a deal breaker, easy to rewire but if you dont want to, you can purchase from a couple of reputable suppliers for a decent price. These 15-91's are work horses.

Macybaby 08-27-2013 04:00 PM

I would expect that cabinet is original to that machine, as I've seen several, and bought one. I had to buy the stool separately, and that cost about $40. Often the stool will cost more than the cabinet LOL!!

I would not hesitate to pay $80 for that setup.

manicmike 08-27-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6258939)
Oh yeah? I have 2 or 3 extra boxes of accessories.

Maybe I should have been more specific and said attachments. If you have some spare I'd like to buy them.

profannie 08-27-2013 06:02 PM

It`s a good deal also IMO. I got a 15-91 after searching my local CF for 50$ in a carrying case, with no accessories. It was my first buy of a vintage sewing machine and I didn't know what to check. Found out after bringing it back home there was a burr on the plate and the bobbin case; the timing was off. Had to bring it to my tech, who fixed it easily, but lesson learned: you should always bring fabric, thread and needle to try it. After thinking about the configuration of my sewing room, I end up wanting a cabinet for it. Found one for 50$. Surprise! There was also a Singer 15-91 in it! It was sewing perfectly, but the wiring was crumbling. I took the best pieces of each sewing machine (pedal of one, power cord of another) and ended up with a set up like the one I can see on your add. So 80$ is a good deal. By the way, I love my 15-91. I quilted a twin bed size quilt on it and it was going through layers like butter.

zozee 08-27-2013 06:13 PM

Showing total ignorance here, but how would I choose a reputable supplier and what is a decent price? Let's assume it does need rewiring, how much more could that run me, labor and all? I will not touch wires and I don't want my hubby to, either. Call me chicken .

Caroline S 08-28-2013 05:40 AM

Excellent sewing machine and a very good price and appears to have been taken care of. If you are concerned about the wiring, visit the machine and do a good inspection. If you decide to purchase the sewing machine then begin your search for an OSMG (Old Sewing Machine Guy) in your area. Begin your OSMG search by asking at your local fabric stores and quilt stores. Ask us here, I did not see a location for you.

I had a 201 rewired, the wires had been cut from the controller to the motor, and my OSMG charged me about $50 for the re-wire and he serviced it also. Now that I learned know more about repairing and servicing I would not hesitate to tackle a re-wire.

mlmack 08-28-2013 06:09 AM

How is that machine still available?