Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Green Elna Supermatic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/green-elna-supermatic-t197978.html)

bcsews 08-18-2012 01:07 PM

Green Elna Supermatic

I have a chance to buy one of these machines. It appears to be in pretty decent condition (will know more when I see it in person). Looks to have all or most of the original attachments and pattern discs. Case also looks to be in pretty good shape. I am not as familiar with these machines as I am with my Singers. She says she will take $30 for it. Is that a fair price? Thanks for any input.

Skyangel 08-18-2012 01:15 PM

Try her out, if she sews that is probably a great price! If it doesn't have a manual, I think there is a free one online.

Kim

Candace 08-18-2012 02:20 PM

Any of these that have been sitting and not used or turned will have a flat spot on the pulley and sound like a freight train or jackhammer. If this is so, and it probably is, the pulley can be replaced and sometimes redressed, but plan on that.

Monroe 08-18-2012 07:55 PM

Great price- the attachments are expensive when purchased separately. And such a cool design to have the case become the table!

Caroline S 08-19-2012 05:54 AM

$30 is a good price, even more if it comes with the pattern discs and attachments. It is very important to make sure that it has the knee controller also.

Yooper32 08-20-2012 04:24 AM

Any old Elna, made in Switzerland is worth what you can pay. I wouldn't give up my 1964 version for anything. It has taken a lickin' and is still tickin'. Got a project you don't dare try and sew on your computerized "precious"?, get out the Elna. Have sewn four layers of brocade deco fabric plus add a layer of rug canvas to that. No problem.

Grammie Sharon 08-20-2012 04:54 PM

I have an Elna SU I bought in 1973 and it's still sewing great. I keep looking at new machines but then feel guilty about leaving goold old Elly Elna!!

bcsews 08-23-2012 03:02 PM

Here is my "new to me" supermatic

2 Attachment(s)
I went ahead and got the machine today. Thought I would post a couple of pictures. Hope they show up. Thanks for looking.
Barb

Caroline S 08-24-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bcsews (Post 5462812)
I went ahead and got the machine today. Thought I would post a couple of pictures. Hope they show up. Thanks for looking.
Barb

Looks very nice. And it came with the plastic box that holds the pattern discs and attachments. SUPER :thumbup:

jtquilts 08-24-2012 11:40 AM

Oh, my! The pictures sure do bring back memories! My folks bought me a used Elna Supermatic 1953 model when I graduated high school in 1966. I loved it to pieces . . . . literally. I am happy with the machines I have that replaced the Elna, but, there is a special place in my heart!