Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Greist Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/greist-sewing-machine-t167445.html)

Donnabellah 11-10-2011 08:36 AM

Greist Sewing Machine

A friend gave me a sewing machine that is still in the original cabinet. She painted the cabinet green! I put the machine in a repair shop and was told it was in good shape and works fine. I don't know anything about the machine as the only documentation I have is a little booklet that is for using the Greist Attachments. On the front of the machine there is a metal tag "Vornado" -- on the side of the machine is a metal tag "Precision Build .. Made in Japan" on the back side on top of the motor is a tag "Deluxe Sewing Machine Motor". No where on the machine is the word Greist!!
I am very interested in knowing if anyone has any information about this machine. The little booklet has a copyright of 1957 but I am not even sure if that booklet came with the machine. It does have quite a few attachments and it does decorative stitching also.
Any of your comments would be appreciated.

quilt addict 11-10-2011 09:49 AM

As far as I know, and there is alot that I don't, Griest just made accessories for sewing machines. Post a picture when you get it home and someone will be able to help you identify it. But sounds like a made in Japan machine that was "badged" Vornado.

Donnabellah 11-10-2011 10:24 AM

That makes sense! I have two rectangular containers that are marked as Sewing Accessories and that's where I got the idea that it was a Griest machine. I will try to get a picture posted as I am very curious about this machine. It is all metal and very heavy and I hear from my sewing friends NOT to ever let it go!!

Lostn51 11-10-2011 11:01 AM

Griest did make sewing machines but it was in the real early days and they only did it for a few years. When I saw this I thought "Oh boy a rare one has popped up!!" but rats..... I will see if I can find the photos of what the Greist machine looks like.

Billy

mbrownpanama 01-19-2013 11:55 AM

Greist sewing machine

I just found a few PDF's at the Smithsonian about the Greist machines and their attachments. I have a bag of attachments with no machine so do you want the attachments? I am printing out the PDF now and will let you know if they are all there. I cannot test them but I believe they fit any straight shank machine.

Originally Posted by Donnabellah (Post 4661403)
A friend gave me a sewing machine that is still in the original cabinet. She painted the cabinet green! I put the machine in a repair shop and was told it was in good shape and works fine. I don't know anything about the machine as the only documentation I have is a little booklet that is for using the Greist Attachments. On the front of the machine there is a metal tag "Vornado" -- on the side of the machine is a metal tag "Precision Build .. Made in Japan" on the back side on top of the motor is a tag "Deluxe Sewing Machine Motor". No where on the machine is the word Greist!!
I am very interested in knowing if anyone has any information about this machine. The little booklet has a copyright of 1957 but I am not even sure if that booklet came with the machine. It does have quite a few attachments and it does decorative stitching also.
Any of your comments would be appreciated.

LynnVT 01-19-2013 12:06 PM

My hubby, who worked for the Greist company in CT for many years, did not know that they ever made machines. However, they did make attachments of all kinds, such as buttonholers, monogrammers, and others, under various names. They made some for Singer, which just had different cases and colors. So this was interesting for us to learn. My dad worked for the same company, and I always thank Greist for getting me together with my DH of 46 years.

Monroe 01-19-2013 12:25 PM

Lynn- I will think of you every time I look at my Griest accessories! I had no idea they ever made sewing machines. There's a lot to learn from this Board.

MimiBug123 01-21-2013 03:27 PM

I didn't know they ever made machines, either. I thought they only made attachments. Wow! I learn something new on here every day! It sounds like a Japanese badged machine, probably at 15 clone. They are definitely workhorses!