Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/greyhound-has-landed-part-1-unpacking-t240128.html)

GreyQ 02-01-2014 10:21 AM

The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking

10 Attachment(s)
Hi friends! The Greyhound R Electric is here. It's an adorable 3/4 machine with a 13" x 6 3/4" base. It looks quite a bit smaller than my 66 & Godzilla. I am more than a little disappointed in the weasel ( no offense to weasels) who shipped it. When I picked it up, I could feel the machine shifting inside the box. Thinking, Oh Snap! (not really but that's the suitable for public translation) and dreading opening it, I had to open it anyway. It didn't look too bad until I carefully nudged it out of the box. One end of the case is completely off, the base is all splintered & gouged and the sewing machine was off the hinges & sliding around on the base. There is a Kenmore foot pedal that was stuck in for no reason & no use. The spool spindle is broken off at the base & I have no clue as to how to get the stuck piece out. It could have been worse but considering the weasel is bugging me to pay an additional $16 because he packed it so well. Never mentioned that the case was in pieces. The shards of wood coming off the base makes handling it hazardous. I know someone who can re-glue the cover. I can re-wire this foot pedal. So, it could be worse.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459892[/ATTACH]
Now for the happy news, mostly happy. I think he used gun oil on the machine, the shuttle is absolutely slimy and I'm getting covered in black stuff trying to clean it up. This is an adorable machine. It has a cute hinged handle to raise & lower the foot.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459902[/ATTACH]
The serial number is on the bobbin cover plate R 4181271. There's a nice compartment for things in the base except the only thing in it is a partial manual for attachments that aren't included. No attachments at all, sorry Macybaby. Also 2 bobbins & a packet with 4 needles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459909[/ATTACH]
Now pics of the machine: OOPS I've reached the photo limit (already?) So look for Part 2.

GreyQ 02-01-2014 10:35 AM

The Greyhound has landed, part 2 - the machine.

4 Attachment(s)
It is a darling in need of a fair bit of TLC. As always, I'll appreciate any help dating this machine. I'll be spending a lot of time cleaning it up, fortunately it's not very rusty. Do you think I should pull some of the worst splinters off or glue them back? It doesn't seem to sit well in the base. There's a little wobble like a short leg on a table and when you lower the presser foot it make it shift in the base.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459914[/ATTACH]

Candace 02-01-2014 11:20 AM

If it were me, I'd send it back and get my money refunded if this was via ebay and paypal. I wonder how many machines have been destroyed by ebay transactions:<

GreyQ 02-01-2014 11:29 AM

There's no way I'd send a machine back to this guy. He'd probably re sell it & blame me for the damage. I'm just hoping he won't harass me for more $$ (see part 1, weasel section). I won't be taking a chance on shipping a machine for a while. Maybe it's like having a baby, you forget in time. :rolleyes:

ThayerRags 02-01-2014 11:34 AM

"The Greyhound Has Raced In", GreyQ.

Sorry it has damage.

CD in Oklahoma

Candace 02-01-2014 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GreyQ (Post 6548711)
There's no way I'd send a machine back to this guy. He'd probably re sell it & blame me for the damage. I'm just hoping he won't harass me for more $$ (see part 1, weasel section). I won't be taking a chance on shipping a machine for a while. Maybe it's like having a baby, you forget in time. :rolleyes:

Not if you take photos of the shipping damage and contact ebay.

quiltingcandy 02-01-2014 11:46 AM

I do love your machine - my sister would love it. She has been rescuing greyhounds for over 20 years.

It never ceases to amaze me that people do such a crappy job at packing with no remorse and want to blame it on poor handling of the shipping company. Really? They handle thousands of boxes a day, many are on conveyor belts and you use little if any packing material, and think that is good? Not sure who is being cheap here? Use the appropriate packing material and so much can be avoided. My parents used to buy art pieces at shows and have them professionally packed and shipped. If I buy something I want it to arrive in good condition.

In reading the various posts I was so very lucky - I obtained two FW machines, one on Shopgoodwill.com and one on EBAY. Both were well packed and arrived undamaged. If I knew then what I have seen since, I doubt I would take the risk.

oldsewnsew 02-01-2014 12:21 PM

GreyQ, I share your remorse, reminds me of the Windsor B that was haphazardly packed and it broke the motor.:mad:
But Goodwill has since shown me that they can be conscientious enough to do it right. So were you going to give the seller another $16?? Nice machine BTW, nice case design, looks very similar to my New Home.
enjoy!

QuiltingVagabond 02-01-2014 01:24 PM

Nice machine GreyQ! Others will weigh in soon, but I would glue (with wood glue) down the wood bits that fit nicely and use a wood putty or patching material for the missing wood.
And I would ignore his requests for more money, if he won't leave you alone tell him you want damage repair costs reimbursed - that will make him go away...

Congrats on getting a Greyhound :)

KalamaQuilts 02-01-2014 01:56 PM

what a lovely machine~