Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Hand Cranks: 99k vs. 128/128k? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/hand-cranks-99k-vs-128-128k-t165882.html)

mo-rie 11-12-2011 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone! She is so pretty sitting there on my table. There's a lot of dirt in her nooks and crannies. I loved the bobbin winder, which wasn't too hard to do! She bounced up and down some when I first stitched with her, but did some cleaning and adjusting and that stopped. Tension needs some tweeking. I love the size of the 3/4 size machines. That chrome on the handwheel makes me smile, as does the grape leaf motif on the faceplate and back cover! I will post pictures when I get her cleaned up some. My mom's FW was from 1943 and all that trim is black. My 99k's faceplate it striated, so I wanted a fancy chrome faceplate.

Miriam, thanks for posting the links to the You Tube videos. They are a lifesaver when you don't have a manual. Muv, you are very thorough and it is great to know I can ask you if I am not clear on anything.

thepolyparrot 11-12-2011 09:52 AM

The 28/128's are nice little machines, especially if you're going to piece with it using the handcrank. (You don't notice how fast the bobbin runs out! :) )

And the beautiful detailing on the plates is so charming. I have had three 128's, but gave away both of the hand crank versions, one a Roccocco and one a Victorian. I still have one in a treadle with Victorian decals. If I ever found one with nice La Vincendora decals, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

One nice thing about the 99 is that there's one around every corner. There were so many of them made and eventually, one will come along at a price that is right for you. It took four years to find "my" Featherweight, but be patient and you'll get your 99, too. :)

thevintageseamstress 11-17-2011 05:53 AM

I have a 99 hand crank machine, I just can not get the hang of it. It seems I need both hands to guide the fabric just so. I guess I could learn if I had to but mine sits on the shelf looking pretty most of the time. lol Are there any tips on using a hand crank, maybe I am going about it all wrong...

Charlee 11-17-2011 06:11 AM

I love my machines with shuttles....they make a way cool sound while they're sewing! :) To my way of thinking, the shuttle bobbins are no different to use than the round bobbins. You fill the bobbin, load it into the shuttle, pop it into the machine and sew.
I have a 28K handcrank that is fun to use...and I can take it with me if we go dry camping. (Camping without hookups for our camper) I've actually considered taking it to do some piecing in the car on a long trip as well! (Haven't done that yet, but I'm SURE I will!! It will sit on my knees as we go down the road, I've tested the theory here at home. LOL)

Muv 11-17-2011 06:11 AM

Vintage Seamstress,

Go to my Youtube channel (follow the links Miriam has posted above) and find my video about using a seam guide on a vintage machine. Half the reason I made that video was because people kept posting messages saying they couldn't work out how to guide the material with one hand. It isn't difficult.

I have the opposite problem to you. If I'm using a treadle I forget to use my right hand. Sometimes it waves about in the air, other times I am looking for a non-existent handle.

Charlee 11-17-2011 06:14 AM

I agree with Muv! You *really* don't need your right hand for guiding fabric...try it on your electric machines! About the only time I really use my right hand is to align fabric when I'm stopped.

Muv 11-17-2011 06:23 AM

Vintage Seamstress,

Also, you might enjoy this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t141394-html

The 4-patches I was making ended up in a doll quilt I made for the August 2011 doll quilt swap.