Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Has the world changed so much in the last 30 years, or is it me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/has-world-changed-so-much-last-30-years-me-t209470.html)

harrishs 12-29-2012 08:56 AM

I have enjoyed reading all the post as I too miss the quality that "used to be" but got a giggle from the image of Joe on the floor with the cats crawling on him-------I remember how proud my mom was to get her Kenmore zz in the late fifties after sewing on a Minnesota treadle for many years.......she sewed so many quilts, clothes, prom dresses and endless repairs.....And now our Sears is closed......sad.

makitmama 12-29-2012 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it is all a mindset- we live in a throw away society, and there is no reward for making something that is long-lasting. Except for craftsters and artists, that is- I am speaking of manufacturing, here.
Look at what I just bought off etsy to make purses from. It is a feed sack from a french mill, circa 1930. When the farmer returned it, he got the 5f deposit back. It is machine darned all over! the mill owner had someone who had to maintain the bags on return. Just the concepts involved it that are daunting. Also, I just bought a junk treadle from a junk yard- really old irons, and the drawers hadn't been emptied! there were two well worn hand darning eggs, and one of those weird singer sock darner thingees.
I am going to stop, or I could go on forever. This is a common mental lament for me. Hand-work isn't appreciated, and pride in your product is useless because it will just get thrown away.

J Miller 12-29-2012 09:02 AM

For some things modern technology has been a Godsend. But for others, such as sewing machines, fans, toasters, coffee pots, and things that used to be made from metal, Bakelite, wood, and mechanical parts modern technology has made them far worse. They are no longer durable.
The current computerized plastic and pot metal sewing machines might do wondrous things when new, but they just will not last.
In that light they are a waste of money.

JMHO

Joe

J Miller 12-29-2012 09:08 AM

makitmama,

That is true recycling. Like the old soda bottles with the deposits. Use them over and over. Not any more, just toss 'em in the bin and recycle them. A waste of products and energy.

I still want to go back in time a 100 years. There is nothing here I couldn't live without.

Joe

oldtnquiltinglady 12-29-2012 09:31 AM

I really got a good laugh out of mentally seeing you flat on the floor with kittycat walking all over you.....and the picture came to mind if that were me, I would have to push my little "emergency button that says I've fallen and can't get up"......absolutely LOL here. Jo Ann

katykwilt 12-29-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5746566)
Sear, Montgomery Ward, JC Penny's they had so much then but not now!!!!!!!

I can remember when JCP sold fabric -- it was the only place in town that had it. Not only that, when they measured you got an bit extra because the fabric was torn, not cut. After washing didn't have any problem making sure it wasn't wonky.

Then I think of the home-ec teacher we had and my memories aren't so sweet!

Stitchit123 12-29-2012 09:57 AM

I recently adopted a 1983 Kenmore machine from a local thrift store here in Lebanon,Mo and she is in perfect running condition, but there was no cabinet just the head.Well last February I adopted a cabinet at a thrift store in Toledo,Oh it has the adjustable shelf, but the label on the under side said Sears and Roebuck - so I had to take her home-and I thought some one had revamped it at home.Well these 2 adoptee's fit together beautifully- and I swear their smiles were as big as mine when I used them the first time.

idoqlts 12-29-2012 10:20 AM

I have a Sears sewing table from the 60's. Wouldn't trade it for any of the new sewing "furniture".

MimiBug123 12-29-2012 11:40 AM

I try to grab any old cabinets I find. I just know they will work with one of my sewing babies and won't fall apart any time soon. It's nice to buy something that I know will last as long as I will and won't need to be replaced.

lots2do 12-29-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by katykwilt (Post 5747613)
I can remember when JCP sold fabric -- it was the only place in town that had it. Not only that, when they measured you got an bit extra because the fabric was torn, not cut. After washing didn't have any problem making sure it wasn't wonky.

Then I think of the home-ec teacher we had and my memories aren't so sweet!

I second that,I had a mean home ec teacher too. Told me I'd never learn to crochet. She had to have been one of the meanest teachers I've ever known (and I've been teaching for almost30 years).