Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Have you replaced decals? Would you change them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/have-you-replaced-decals-would-you-change-them-t314283.html)

themadpatter 02-14-2021 05:07 PM

Have you replaced decals? Would you change them?

Was it hard? Was it worth it? Anything you learned?

And What Do All Of You Think About Putting Fancier Decals On Your Machine??? Like, I'm thinking of re-doing the decals on my 99, but the 99 decals are kind of boring. But there are some really cool Egyptian looking decals out there, just saying.... I know it wouldn't be "authentic" or whatever, but do I really care? It's not like 99's are all that difficult to find.

WIChix 02-18-2021 05:56 AM

Haven't, but would. Have 3- 66 RedEyes, the most worn, and most smooth, has the worst decals. Even have a set of decals from the 80s to use.

bkay 02-18-2021 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter (Post 8461058)
Was it hard? Was it worth it? Anything you learned?

And What Do All Of You Think About Putting Fancier Decals On Your Machine??? Like, I'm thinking of re-doing the decals on my 99, but the 99 decals are kind of boring. But there are some really cool Egyptian looking decals out there, just saying.... I know it wouldn't be "authentic" or whatever, but do I really care? It's not like 99's are all that difficult to find.

I would replace them if I wanted to. The old Singers are so commonly available that it will take years before they are really collectible. So, it's you want to paint them red or put new decals on them, go for it.

If you watch Antiques Roadshow, you know that the common items are rarely valuable. Sewing machines are heavy, not very useful, (except to people who sew and there are fewer of us everyday) and take up lots of space. All of which indicates that most of them will not be saved. As an example, my dad was a carpenter. I have some of this hand tools. They are of sentimental value to me but those who really use tools want the rechargeable ones. Of course there are a few old tool collectors, but not nearly enough to make them valuable.

So, I say go ahead and fix them so you will continue to enjoy your machines without worrying about "authenticity".

bkay

JoeJr 02-18-2021 07:16 AM

I would certainly try it, although I was never very good with putting decals on model airplanes as a kid so I don't know how well I would do.
Some people want them to stay in the original condition, some want to restore them to look original, some just want them clean and working.
A friend recently picked up a Featherweight in pretty rough shape, for $50, and was talking about painting it red; I'd never heard of that but she said people paint them all manner of colors.
Make the machine your own, color, decals, etc.

juliasb 02-18-2021 09:00 AM

I have been thinking about replacing the decals on one of my FW's. I will follow this to see if some one shares about their experience on removing the old ones and putting on the new ones.