Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Heading out tomorrow for these two beauties? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/heading-out-tomorrow-these-two-beauties-t245105.html)

Cogito 04-13-2014 04:00 PM

Heading out tomorrow for these two beauties?

1 Attachment(s)
Tomorrow I will travel 2 hours one way to pick up two singer 15 clones......Free Westinghouse. I am excited because they are in lovely condition.

Rodney 04-13-2014 04:46 PM

The Free Westinghouse in the picture isn't a 15 clone. They're an original design. The semi-potted motor is fairly unique.
I don't know much about them specifically but I wouldn't mind getting one to learn.
Nice looking machine.
Rodney

Cogito 04-13-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6674076)
The Free Westinghouse in the picture isn't a 15 clone. They're an original design. The semi-potted motor is fairly unique.
I don't know much about them specifically but I wouldn't mind getting one to learn.
Nice looking machine.
Rodney

Well I'll be darned Rodney! I didn't really do any research....they were so cheap and in such good condition, I snatched them. My bad! Better go online and read a little more about them. Any more info you care to share? To date I have been somewhat of a Singer girl....mostly because I know them and know parts are available. I better spruce up real quick on these two. They both come in very nice cabinets.

Cogito 04-13-2014 05:15 PM

So I found a previous post on QB about these....maybe I don't want to drive that far. Sounds like they take a different bobbin, different needle, etc. this is why I stick with Singer....cuz I know what I'm doing. Sigh.

miriam 04-14-2014 02:46 AM

Yup they take different parts all the way around. I have some I've tired to get rid of to no avail here, too. Nobody seems to want them. They are fairly light weight. Definitely not clones. They do have a side tension... That's about all that is in common. Word to the wise - do some research on QB - we have tons of info - there is a search box at the top of the page. 400 threads will come up - scroll through and learn.

Macybaby 04-14-2014 02:48 AM

I'd love to get my hands an on Gold Free/New Home machine

1. They take bobbins that are no longer made
2. They take a different needle, but I think you may be able to find substitute, or adjust the needle bar to use something else
3. They take top clamp feet, also no longer made - but they are on eBay regularly.

I already have a similar machine, but a bit older and not Gold. After I got most of the Singers I wanted, I ended up going after top clamp machines - which is about everything else but Singer LOL!! I'm trying to stick with only one or two from each manufacturer, an early and late model.

miriam 04-14-2014 03:09 AM

The gold Free Westinghouse I have is the other model unless there is another one lurking in a cabinet somewhere. Then I discovered I had a NOS with tags - Domestic light weight. LOL forgot it was in there.

Cogito 04-14-2014 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I pretty much have convinced myself that I don't want these two machines with their funky needle size. But their cabinets are so beautiful and are probably worth the $10. But....only if I could use them for a Singer. That is probably a remote chance, but does anyone know if that might be possible with some mild modification?

miriam 04-14-2014 03:38 AM

The cabinets are very pretty but they will not fit anything else.

abdconsultant 04-14-2014 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito (Post 6674035)
Tomorrow I will travel 2 hours one way to pick up two singer 15 clones......Free Westinghouse. I am excited because they are in lovely condition.

I will be watching for your thoughts on this machine.....