Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help! 1967 Sears Kenmore machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-1967-sears-kenmore-machine-t204844.html)

JamieCMilligan 11-01-2012 02:53 PM

Help! 1967 Sears Kenmore machine.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Quilting Friends,

Awhile back, I received this machine as a gift from some friends who's aunt had moved away. The machine is in beautiful condition but it doesn't have a belt on the back, and when i use the foot pedal there is a burning smell. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or where I could get a new belt?

Thanks for your help!
Jamie C.

Patti25314 11-01-2012 04:01 PM

Find a dealer with a mechanic/tech that knows Singers, and they will know Kenmore. Probably a quick fix, and your machine will love you for it!

dunster 11-01-2012 04:53 PM

If it smells like something is burning don't use it - take it to someone for repair. It could just be a capacitor that needs to be replaced, or it could be that the wiring is old and breaking down. Don't leave it plugged in, just in case.

QuiltnNan 11-02-2012 03:46 AM

beautiful cabinet. good luck with the repair.

J Miller 11-02-2012 06:09 AM

Jamie,

Since this is a cabinet machine it lays on it's front side when in storage. The motor is right on top in the path of dust, lint, particulates and even pet hair. All this and old oil will collect inside the vent holes of the motor and will burn off when you start using it. Even portables do this, but to a lesser extent.

Do a visual check on the wiring from where it enters the motor to the plugs, to the foot controller, and under the machines body. If it looks good, oil the motor then run it wide open for a while. You'll hear it change pitch as it cleans out the dirt and debris. (These instructions came from my LSMG)
Belts can be had at your LSMG or Sew Classics as well as other places.

Joe

quiltingweb 11-02-2012 06:24 AM

I was going to say what Joe said...lint and dust. In the meantime, you can unplug it and clean and oil it before trying it again. Use the hand wheel to move all the joints. I think I have this same machine, or one very similar. What is the model?

miriam 11-03-2012 02:49 AM

you could take it to Joe's house and have him work it over - it would be a very nice machine when he gets done.

J Miller 11-03-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5631135)
you could take it to Joe's house and have him work it over - it would be a very nice machine when he gets done.

LOL, I really need a bigger place to work. But really it isn't super complicated to clean and oil a sewing machine. As long as it's not computerized there is no black magic inside. Computerized machines ..... well, um, I'll just say I don't mess with 'em.

Joe

jbj137 11-03-2012 07:25 AM

My old Kenmore did this and had smoke come out of it.

Cleaned, oiled, and it was OK.

Must have had an accumulation of debri in the motor.

J J

Quilter Day-by-Day 11-03-2012 07:28 AM

Is this a good machine I've seen a machine like this one but didn't know.