Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help! DGD 1st bday next week - how to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-dgd-1st-bday-next-week-how-quilt-t234208.html)

Ellietow 11-07-2013 05:56 AM

Help! DGD 1st bday next week - how to quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

My granddaughter's first birthday is in 9 days, and I still have to mail it - how could I quilt this? I do some FMQ (basic), have taken several craftsy classes on FMQ. Could probably stipple if need be ... appreciate your suggestions! Thanks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445396[/ATTACH]

Tartan 11-07-2013 06:02 AM

I would stitch in the ditch for the frames and then outline stitch the motifs in the blocks. After that was finished, if I still had time I might add more quilting, bind and send it off. Cute quilt!

Mom3 11-07-2013 06:15 AM

Awe, one year old? Sweet! Quilts from Grandma for a little one should be 'fluffy'/'puffy' - something to wrap the little one in a soft hug when Grannie's not there. Minimal quilting (stitch in the ditch to outline the rectangles and maybe an open stipple or something in the white boarders should be plenty. Let it stay 'puffy' so those 'quilt hugs' can be felt by the little one. :)

nanna-up-north 11-07-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6391729)
I would stitch in the ditch for the frames and then outline stitch the motifs in the blocks. After that was finished, if I still had time I might add more quilting, bind and send it off. Cute quilt!

Ditto...... GD will love it.

quiltstringz 11-07-2013 10:20 AM

Since you are on a time restriction - go with what you feel comfortable doing. Remember she is 1 - she won't care how it is quilted

Shelbie 11-07-2013 12:55 PM

You have had the perfect answers here - some Stitch in the Ditch and simple meandering in the squares. You have great fabric so why overwhelm it with too much quilting. Too much quilting tends to make a quilt too flat and stiff for a little one. Soft, a little puffy and done! should be your goal.

GreyQ 11-08-2013 06:02 AM

What a darling quilt! I agree, soft & simple is the way to quilt baby quilts.

mjhaess 11-08-2013 06:38 AM

Adorable quilt...I would stitch in the ditch....

Ellietow 11-12-2013 07:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It's done... Not anywhere near perfect because I'm a beginner FMQer...but as you say on the quilting board, better done than perfect! And, as quiltstringz said, she's one, she won't care how it's quilted. So, it became a practice FMQ quilt. I learned that I needed to adjust the top tension, else it was loopy and scratchy on the back, and that I needed to relax to make smooth curves. So, the back is not pretty, but I know I'll get better... The quilt gets sent today, and it should arrive on her birthday! Thanks for your encouragement. Overall I'm still pleased with how it turned out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446474[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]446476[/ATTACH]

LJDay 11-12-2013 07:29 AM

I think the quilt is perfect!! Front and back!! Your granddaughter will love it.
Now I need to know, where did you find the Dr. Seuss material? My son always loved Dr. Seuss and I would love to make one of these for his son. Thank you.