Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help Identifying Old Singer Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-identifying-old-singer-machine-t169164.html)

BETTY62 11-20-2011 12:42 PM

Help Identifying Old Singer Machine

I need help in identifying a machine. It's an old singer that works by turning a crank that looks like a small wheel on the right side of the head. I think the bobbin is called a shuttle type. It looks to be smaller than a regular size machine but bigger than a Featherweight. The serial number is on the front of the machine and either reads 13612744 or 13682744. There are no alpha characters in the number. I would appreciate anyinformation you can share with me. I do not know how to post a picture on the site.

Charlee 11-20-2011 01:44 PM

You've got a handcrank, most likely a Model 12, (the list doesn't give model numbers for these years) from 1896. This is providing that the machine is NOT a Singer 9W, but it wouldn't be if it has the shuttle bobbin! :)

BETTY62 11-20-2011 03:00 PM

Thank you for your response Charlee. My hubby and I purchased it at a barn sale about 30 years ago. We moved shortly after, it was placed in a storage shead and forgotten about until this week. It needs clean-up but it works really well when I turn the handle.

Charlee 11-20-2011 03:11 PM

The handcranks are FUN to sew on! I pieced a quilt on mine, and loved every minute of it! I'm debating on whether or not to try quilting on it....I probably won't, but it's tempting! :)

ppquilter 11-21-2011 06:22 AM

Would love to see pics, I collect old machines too. I call them my "Dust collectors" I have 15 for more big machines and about 35-40 of little machines. What fun to collect!

bikermom 11-21-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 4702401)
I need help in identifying a machine. It's an old singer that works by turning a crank that looks like a small wheel on the right side of the head. I think the bobbin is called a shuttle type. It looks to be smaller than a regular size machine but bigger than a Featherweight. The serial number is on the front of the machine and either reads 13612744 or 13682744. There are no alpha characters in the number. I would appreciate anyinformation you can share with me. I do not know how to post a picture on the site.

I have a 1913 Treadle 66 Model Singer, that belonged to my great paternal grandmother. I called the Consumer Affairs Division of the Singer Company and gave them the Serial # and within a couple of minutes they told me it was made on Aug 27, 1913 in Elizabeth, New Jersey! The phone number I called is 1-800-474-6437. Best of luck to you. I would love to know if you find out anything amount your machine!

I was also able to locate the 29-page Instruction Manual for the Singer 66 on the internet and printed it.