Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help identifying this singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-identifying-singer-t192470.html)

sewingmachineaddict 06-22-2012 04:58 AM

Help identifying this singer

1 Attachment(s)
I am having trouble identifying this machine, I have looked at tons of pictures but dont see any just like it, some similar. I thought with all the knowledge here someone would know something!

J Miller 06-22-2012 06:26 AM

sewingmachineaddict

If you look right above the stitch length lever there is a number. If I am right, that will be the Singer Model #.

I don't know what model it is either and we're watching two of them on GW auctions right now.

Joe

sewingmachineaddict 06-22-2012 07:00 AM

u were right it is a 328k those letters were so little i would never have seen them if u hadnt told me! thank you

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5308167)
sewingmachineaddict

If you look right above the stitch length lever there is a number. If I am right, that will be the Singer Model #.

I don't know what model it is either and we're watching two of them on GW auctions right now.

Joe

J Miller 06-22-2012 07:07 AM

328K, hmmmmm ... now I know too.

Joe

lovelyl 06-23-2012 05:37 AM

Yup - 328K - I have one just like it. It uses the flat black cams to do the "fancy stitches". Did you get any cams with it?

sewingmachineaddict 06-23-2012 11:01 AM

I'm not sure. Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet. Sews nice smooth stitches

georgiaclark 06-24-2012 07:02 AM

The Singer 328 is special because it can be treadled. The cutout where the cord is in the picture is the place where the treadle belt can go. I bought one, but it is just too heavy, and I don't like the way it looks! Picky me, I know. I am just in love with older machines, and anything that looks this modern is not going to be a favorite of mine.

frudemoo 01-27-2013 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like I have almost the same machine - I've been searching for the model 328P but then realised the P stands for machines made in Perth, Australia. They look very similar but mine is missing the slot at the top - is that for the cams? I never knew about cams until I read these vintage machine forums (excuse my ignorance). Very excited to learn about the treadling option (thanks georgiaclark!) as mine has the same slot below the power cord :) Would love to compare notes sewinmachineaddict, are you using yours much?[ATTACH=CONFIG]391016[/ATTACH]CCheers, Amelia

oregongirl 01-27-2013 08:27 AM

frudemoo, i don't have that exact model (mine is a little newer) but looking at the picture, i'm wondering if your cam location is under the thread holders. what's inside if you flip open that compartment? I mean the section right above "Singer" and the stitch width regulater (0-4) and the needle position (L-R).

frudemoo 01-30-2013 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by oregongirl (Post 5817406)
frudemoo, i don't have that exact model (mine is a little newer) but looking at the picture, i'm wondering if your cam location is under the thread holders. what's inside if you flip open that compartment? I mean the section right above "Singer" and the stitch width regulater (0-4) and the needle position (L-R).

I just realised I didn't look at the original image properly - it looks like the top compartment on sewingmachinecaddict's machine is open a little. When I open my top compartment it looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391731[/ATTACH]
So I guess they are the same, apart from the place of manufacture. I'm not sure how difficult it is do get different stitch cams? The new Bernina 640-2 I just got has automatic decorative stitches and I only just got it back from the shop today so I have lots of playing to do! :) But I love the idea of having a treadle machine at some point. I'd be really interested to know what kind of table/treadle would suit a machine of this vintage.