Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help identifying Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-identifying-singer-t264047.html)

Foxglove 04-15-2015 09:23 AM

Help identifying Singer

1 Attachment(s)
A friend emailed me this photo and the serial number JE544739 (1961) but didn't give me a model number. She was given it and doesn't know anything about sewing machines so she asked me. I only have 1950's & older singers and I've looked online and can't find anything to identify it. Any help on the model number would be greatly appreciated.

Heidi

mimiknoxtaylor 04-15-2015 09:29 AM

I have one just like this in my many machines! I'm at my daughters right now but Friday I'll be home & will try to remember to look & let you know.

NewGuy 04-15-2015 01:26 PM

Foxglove,

A guick search of Google Images (not definitive by any means) leads to an expired eBay listing for one that appears to be just like it from what I gather it's a Singer 467.
I had to enlarge your attached photo to get part of the number.
It looked like 467 to me, but was fuzzy enough I wasn't sure.
Went to Googe, then images, and searched for Singer Sewing machine model 467.
Some of the photos it brought up weren't very clear, some were pretty good.
Some had nothing similar to your photo.
I followed one of those to an expired e listing that had a fairly decent photo but a fairly poor description.
It looks just like your photo, but was NOT in a cabinet.
The seller had it listed as a "Buy it now" type item for $99.99 with $38 for shipping.
It expired with no takers.

Hope this helps,
Allen

psychonurse 04-15-2015 01:40 PM

Ismacs ismacs.net/

GO There and you can look it up with
the information you have.
a handy addy to know. Lol

foufymaus 04-15-2015 02:32 PM

i think its a singer 478...

manicmike 04-15-2015 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus (Post 7165923)
i think its a singer 478...

My first thought was also 478, although the high 400s all look very similar so it could be a 467. Does it have "stylist" anywhere? My daughter's 498 is identical except it has a free arm. Good enough machines but reverse buttonhole stitch stops working if the plastic reverse button isn't greased occasionally, and this can't be fixed. Also has the dreaded plastic gear, which is replaceable but annoying if you're in the middle of a project when it suicides. I experienced all of this, hopefully all is now good.
Year seems wrong. Singer didn't produce this type of machine until 1968.

Foxglove 04-16-2015 07:40 AM

Thanks everyone, I've let her know what I've found out about it. I wonder about the serial number because JE does come up as 1961 on Singer's website, looking at the photo it looks like the serial number is on a sticker maybe it's not the serial number. Looking on our local craigslist machines very similar are in the $30-50 range and aren't selling very quickly.

I just found a singer combination table 301 on craigslist and waiting for a reply from the seller, not that I have a singer 99 or 128 at the moment but these tables don't show up too often. Hoping my 221 or longbed 301a might fit enough to use the table since those are my go to machines for quilting. I kind of said no more sewing machines since I have 8 but I don't think my husband believed me anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Heidi

manicmike 04-16-2015 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Foxglove (Post 7166660)
looking at the photo it looks like the serial number is on a sticker maybe it's not the serial number.

You're right, the serial numbers were never written on stickers, but punched into the metal.

barny 04-16-2015 01:52 PM

I made the picture bigger on my computer and it says 467. don't know if that is correct or not. But that is what it says.

manicmike 04-16-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 7166963)
I made the picture bigger on my computer and it says 467. don't know if that is correct or not. But that is what it says.

Quite right Barny.
Mystery solved. Now I can see the picture clearly, the 467 doesn't have the four step buttonholer.