Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   help identifying these machines!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-identifying-these-machines-t272036.html)

Trene 11-08-2015 07:03 PM

help identifying these machines!!

3 Attachment(s)
I have searched Issacs, and the interwebs in general, but Ican't figure out which machine this is. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535264[/ATTACH]any help would be much appreciated!

JudyTheSewer 11-08-2015 07:14 PM

It is an industrial 31-15.

Trene 11-08-2015 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the other machine:[ATTACH=CONFIG]535266[/ATTACH]it is rusted solid. I saw them both in a shop in Philadelphia today. the owner knows nothing about sewing machine; he just found these beautiful! The singer hand wheel moved in a limited arch, but after I reseated the bobbin case correctly, it moved smoothly. Any help would be appreciated!

jlhmnj 11-08-2015 07:30 PM

The Singer 31-15 is about the most popular industrial sewing machine ever made. Needles and bobbins are still available. Originally it would have set on a large butcher block top treadle but most were converted to an industrial motor and clutch and the irons hack sawed and parts removed to accomadate.

I'd guess the door stop is an Illinois or Free.

Neat finds.

Jon

Rodney 11-09-2015 06:46 AM

Even by my loose standards the second one is too far gone to mess with.
Rodney

ManiacQuilter2 11-09-2015 06:49 AM

Yes, I agree, the second one looks too impossible to get back into sewing shape. :(

Wintersewer 11-09-2015 07:14 AM

When you get the 31-15 cleaned up and sewing you will be able to find many feed dog/needle plate/presser feet combinations to sew from very light to very heavy material. I had one in a nice treadle table once....well....it was nice after I refinished it. I only sold that one at a slight loss....par for the course, for me.

SteveH 11-09-2015 08:30 AM

The only way I would try to restore the 2nd one is if I had something to prove...

The 31 is awesome, they even make replacement decal sets for that one. THAT is a real industrial, can sew light leather all day long.

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 11-09-2015 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7371130)
The only way I would try to restore the 2nd one is if I had something to prove...

Agreed. I think the most I would or even could do is check inside to see if there where any useable parts. After that, this is one of the machines I would be fine with having a second life as a lamp - a little sad yes, but at least it would be a second chance to be useful and pretty.

sewbeadit 11-10-2015 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7370977)
Even by my loose standards the second one is too far gone to mess with.
Rodney

Rodney, I didn't think I would ever hear you say that!:D