Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help! Info on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-info-minnesota-treadle-sewing-machine-t309103.html)

anorem 01-08-2020 08:57 PM

Help! Info on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone help me date a Minnesota Model B sewing machine (serial D1480630) or give me more info? I bought it from a swap site for only $35 and want to get it in working condition. Any and all help is welcome!

leonf 01-09-2020 08:04 AM

Welcome aboard. Your Minnesota was sold by Sears. They put their name on machines that were made by others.
If you pull the machine up in the cabinet and give us a pic of the side of the machine facing the user, we may be able to help you more.

It is a vibrating shuttle machine and hopefully you will find a bullet shaped shuttle and a bobbin under the slides by the needle.
They are also called long bobbin machines.

Macybaby 01-09-2020 08:12 AM

From what I can see, I'd guess it's made by Davis. Sears had several Mfg make machines under the "Minnesota" badge over they years.

anorem 01-09-2020 02:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics to look at. I'm guessing the machine is from the early 1900s?

GammaLou 01-09-2020 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by anorem (Post 8349453)
More pics to look at. I'm guessing the machine is from the early 1900s?

I love the old treadles. They are so beautiful! Congratulations on your score. You should be able to get it cleaned up easily enough. If the cabinet needs work, please use a fine furniture refinisher. Worth it for a treasure.

OurWorkbench 01-09-2020 05:19 PM

It looks to me that it would have been made by Davis. I found another thread about the "Minnesota B" and it looks like it may take a different needle. Hopefully, someone (Jon?) will verify and let you know which needle is needed for a "Minnesota B"

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

jlhmnj 01-09-2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8349500)
It looks to me that it would have been made by Davis. I found another thread about the "Minnesota B" and it looks like it may take a different needle. Hopefully, someone (Jon?) will verify and let you know which needle is needed for a "Minnesota B"

All Minnie B's are Davis Model G and use Davis Long, Boye 10, 1x2 needles. Needles, bobbins, and shuttles though not made anymore can be found on ebay. The Model G is unique in that the footprint is larger than 3/4 size and smaller than full size. The B was made from roughly 1905-1910. Appears as though she will be ready for action with a little clean up and oil. Enjoy!

Jon

OurWorkbench 01-09-2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 8349522)
All Minnie B's are Davis Model G and use Davis Long, Boye 10, 1x2 needles. Needles, bobbins, and shuttles though not made anymore can be found on ebay. The Model G is unique in that the footprint is larger than 3/4 size and smaller than full size. The B was made from roughly 1905-1910. Appears as though she will be ready for action with a little clean up and oil. Enjoy!

Jon

Thank you, I knew you would know.