Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help to know about a found treasure......I think (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-know-about-found-treasure-i-think-t295018.html)

Terrodd 02-22-2018 03:47 PM

Help to know about a found treasure......I think

6 Attachment(s)
It seems there is a lot of people here who know about old sewing machines and I hope someone can help me. I have inherited an old Adler Sewing machine that is built into a nice cabinet. It says its a model 189A. I cannot find anything on line about this specific model and wanted to know more about it. It’s from W. Germany and runs well. I am also looking to downsize and want to pass it on to someone who would enjoy it. When was it built? What’s its value?
Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Terry

SteveH 02-22-2018 04:00 PM

We have a member on our forum names Twass who lives in Germany and is quite the researcher (especially about Adlers). You may want to check with her

cashs_mom 02-22-2018 07:26 PM

I don't know anything about it, but it looks like a nice little machine in a nice cabinet. Good luck with your search.

bkay 02-22-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 8009239)
We have a member on our forum names Twass who lives in Germany and is quite the researcher (especially about Adlers). You may want to check with her

Steve, do you mean TwassG on VictorianSweatshop.com? I could not find TwassG on QB.

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 02-22-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8009382)
Steve, do you mean TwassG on VictorianSweatshop.com? I could not find TwassG on QB.

bkay

Yes, she's on VSS not here on QB.

Cari

Mickey2 02-23-2018 04:35 AM

I have a Phoenix which is a different brand but I guess the companies had a degree of influens on each other. These Adlers are definitely gems. Some insist they are all metal, but the one I came a cross had a few plastic gears. I guess some were all metal, others not and they experimented a bit in those days. All metal gears would be a pluss.

The 189 was top of the line in the 1950s, it takes double layer cams giving fancy stitches few other models could at the time. In clean, working order you could get a bit for it. Used sewing machines like this go for anything from $70 to $200 around here, but it gets harder to find a buyer much above $100. Then they have to be in fully working condition, accessories and cams need to be there, clean, oiled and stitch samples provided. Adlers aren't very common and yours looks like it's in very nice condition.

leonf 02-23-2018 07:02 AM

There is a pre-war Adler on Craigslist in Wichita, ks now for $50. tempting...

NanaCsews2 02-23-2018 07:54 AM

I found several sites and blogs talking about this machine. I googled Adler 189A and a lot of links show up, many pictures, pinterest items, manuals, parts, etc. Lots of info to be found regarding your machine.

Karamarie 02-24-2018 05:39 AM

That side storage is really neat.