Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help needed for new Featherweight owner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-needed-new-featherweight-owner-t194945.html)

ljfox 07-17-2012 04:02 PM

Help needed for new Featherweight owner

I swore I would not join the Featherweight club but the lure of being able to take a lightweight machine with me on vacation and the total cuteness of them won me over. I picked it up today from winning it on Ebay and I just tried to test the stitches and it already is driving me crazy. It is skipping stitches like crazy. As a matter of fact it skips more than it stitches. I cleaned the bobbin area, took off the face plate and got a huge lint bunny out and it still isn't any better. Please help me get this figured out so that I can take it with me on vacation on Friday. I don't know what to look for.

Shelbie 07-17-2012 04:18 PM

Is the needle inserted correctly - flat side to the left? Is it threaded correctly with the thread going through the needle from the right to the left? Did you put in a new needle? Is the bobbin wound properly and inserted correctly in the case? It's probably something simple but it is annoying when they won't sew.

ljfox 07-17-2012 04:26 PM

It was the needle. I was testing it with the one that was in it when I bought it. Apparently the previous owner didn't know how to put it in. It was in with the flat on the right. I fixed it and now it is stitching beautifully. Thanks for saving my sanity!!

momto5 07-17-2012 04:28 PM

Congratulations! Now that YOURS is figured out, let me move on to my Futura....it's having a bit of a nesting instinct today itself...

ljfox 07-17-2012 04:29 PM

What size needles do I need? I am going shopping tomorrow to buy some. Also I need to oil it and grease it. Do you have suggestions of what kind I need to get? As you can tell, my machine didn't come with a manual.

nanna-up-north 07-17-2012 04:35 PM

You can download a free manual from singer.com. Featherweights are model 221. I use Singer oil and grease on my machine but many use triflow. Look at the manual to see all the spots to oil and grease. Have fun with your new beauty..... I sure love using the three I have.

Sewflower 07-17-2012 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=momto5;5373584]Congratulations! Now that YOURS is figured out, let me move on to my Futura....it's having a bit of a nesting instinct today itself...[/QUOTE?
Futura are real fickle. You can only use the bobbins that they specify. Did you check your bobbin type? Can't remember the size off hand. That's all I got for you. Good luck

misskira 07-17-2012 04:53 PM

I use singer oil from Walmart, and the singer lube for motor and gears that I had to buy at a singer dealer/repair shop. Glad she's up and running!

Latrinka 07-19-2012 11:55 AM

Oh Lord, here we go again!