Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   help with older bernina 830 record (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-older-bernina-830-record-t320198.html)

lwbuchholz 03-01-2023 04:17 PM

help with older bernina 830 record

I have been scouring the internet for a repair manual for this machine and can't find one that looks to be from a trusted source. Can anyone help me find a service or repair manual?
Lynda

quiltedsunshine 03-01-2023 06:59 PM

Bernina doesn't let those service manuals get past their authorized dealers.

I know those old 830s pretty well. And worked at a Bernina dealership as a sewing machine mechanic for 8 years. What do you need help with?

lwbuchholz 03-02-2023 05:23 PM

I just bought a second one and the button hole dial won't reverse the stitches when it gets to the setting where it should go back to the beginning. I am oiling and trying to move it and if I needed to use it I could just move the knob up to the reverse position but would like to know how to get to go automatically. I love this machine and would sure like to have a service manual for it. I have 2 adult children who want one each.

quiltedsunshine 03-02-2023 07:11 PM

I can tell you that that isn't in the service manual. LOL!

Sometimes the stitch length is great for moving forward, but too close to move backwards. So you could try opening the stitch length just a "skosh."

So the first question I have to ask is, are the feed dogs high enough to grab the fabric and pull it backwards? When the needle is in it's highest position, the bottom of the feed dog teeth should be level with the needle plate. In other words, the entire tooth should rise above the needle plate.

Also, how tight is your presser foot tension? When you lift the presser foot lever, then drop it, does it slam, or does it limp down?

Maybe the first thing I should ask is, are you using the #3 buttonhole presser foot? That makes a huge difference!

Are the feed dogs moving when you are in the backwards zig-zag? Take the presser foot off and watch what they are doing. I honestly doubt that the problem has anything to do with the buttonhole mechanism.

Let me know what you think...

lwbuchholz 03-03-2023 04:10 PM

Bless you for your help!! I oiled everything well and kept working the stitch length lever and it now works. I suspect the oil had gummed up and just needed to be worked out. Thanks for your help.

quiltedsunshine 03-05-2023 07:30 AM

You did great! I'm glad you figured it out! Those are such great machines.

sewingpup 03-05-2023 07:51 AM

If you go to the Bernina website Click on "customer service", scroll down to "feedback and service", click on "manuals and firmware downloads" Scroll down the current machine lists and to "out of Print manuals" There will be a title "out of Print manuals and under that Bernina Manuals and Bernette Manuals, then under that the words "Bernina Sewing Systems" You will find a link for Bernina 830 1971-1982. But you are not done yet. Click on that link and there will be 6 links to pdf files. I know this is quite the trail to those older manuals but I could not get there in a more direct way using a simple "search".

OurWorkbench 03-05-2023 08:37 AM

Here is the link for the operator manual https://www.bernina.com/getdoc/4f142...INA_830_manual

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

quiltedsunshine 03-05-2023 11:14 AM

Those are both links to the operator manual. The only "service manual" I've ever seen for the Bernina 830 is just a small booklet with pictures and part numbers.

OurWorkbench 03-05-2023 12:07 PM

Yes, I know, that is why I bolded "operator" manual. I did not find a "customer service" link on the bernina page. Rather than trying to describe how to find it, I thought that once found it would be easier to just link the manual, in case someone was looking for it. Of course there is also the possibility of by the time it may come in useful for someone, it will no longer be available at that link. I've read several older threads lately that a lot of the links are now dead links.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.