Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help with Singer 201K tape residue - Please!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-singer-201k-tape-residue-please-t305027.html)

BonnieJP 06-02-2019 04:45 PM

Help with Singer 201K tape residue - Please!!!

I just bought a lovely Singer 201K this afternoon. It's in beautiful condition Except someone put what I believe was masking tape across the needle plate and the black paint. I think this was probably done to mark seam widths or something. The tape itself peeled off easily, but the "glue" part from the tape is hardened on the machine. I was able to clean the residue off the needle plate with some oil and gently scratching with my finger nail. I haven't been successful getting the residue off the painted parts with the oil, dish soap, or WD40. I'm afraid I might ruin the japan finish or paint. Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to remove the hardened glue off the painted part of the machine? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-Bonnie

[IMG]e:dscn5507.jpg[/IMG]

elnan 06-02-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP (Post 8260913)
I just bought a lovely Singer 201K this afternoon. It's in beautiful condition EXCEPT someone put what I believe was masking tape across the needle plate and the black paint. I think this was probably done to mark seam widths or something. The tape itself peeled off easily, but the "glue" part from the tape is hardened on the machine. I was able to clean the residue off the needle plate with some oil and gently scratching with my finger nail. I haven't been successful getting the residue off the painted parts with the oil, dish soap, or WD40. I'm afraid I might ruin the japan finish or paint. Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to remove the hardened glue off the painted part of the machine? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-Bonnie

I would try Johnsons or Mennen Baby Oil. Rub it in well and let it set for several hours. I think baby oil is just scented mineral oil.

OurWorkbench 06-02-2019 05:55 PM

I just bought a lovely Singer 201K this afternoon. .... but the "glue" part from the tape is hardened on the machine.... Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to remove the hardened glue off the painted part of the machine? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-Bonnie

A couple of thoughts.

It didn't get that way overnight, so may need some patience to get it off. It has probably been there a long time with varying temperatures and humidity levels.

Glen has had good luck getting the residue off with "Spray-n-Wash" per https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...t193635-8.html
I didn't have the same results.

I agree with letting it set,at least overnight with sewing machine oil. I used sewing machine oil and pressed a paper towel over the tape. The paper towel was able to confine the oil to where it needed to be. I also made sure the oil did not dry out and oiled it a few times over the course of a couple days. I will sometimes take the edge of an old credit card on top of the paper to scrape the remaining residue off.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

lindaschipper 06-03-2019 03:26 AM

Have you tried Goo-Gone? I know nothing about re-doing an antique machine, but it does work around the house to remove the "stickies" on items and works well on the cars.

granny64 06-03-2019 04:57 AM

I just bought a lovely Singer 201K this afternoon. It's in beautiful condition Except someone put what I believe was masking tape across the needle plate and the black paint. I think this was probably done to mark seam widths or something. The tape itself peeled off easily, but the "glue" part from the tape is hardened on the machine. I was able to clean the residue off the needle plate with some oil and gently scratching with my finger nail. I haven't been successful getting the residue off the painted parts with the oil, dish soap, or WD40. I'm afraid I might ruin the japan finish or paint. Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to remove the hardened glue off the painted part of the machine? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-Bonnie

Try Goo Gone

AZ Jane 06-03-2019 06:18 AM

In general terms, if all those fail, try a little heat to soften the glue, from a hair dryer.

bkay 06-03-2019 06:34 AM

I'm not an expert, as I've never had to deal with this. However, I watched this yesterday and it said don't use Goo-Gone (no citrus based oils or detergents, degreasers, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz42RjIKcgg

BonnieJP 06-06-2019 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613577[/ATTACH]Thank you for the all the help. As the attached photos show, I was successful in eventually getting the hardened glue off the machine. I repeatedly covered the affected areas with cotton balls soaked in sewing machine oil, let them sit for several hours, then used a soft toothbrush to "scrub" the areas. The glue is gone and there is no damage to the machine's finish. Thank you again to all who responded with suggestions. -Bonnie

bkay 06-06-2019 06:20 AM

Great! This makes me want to finally get my 201-2 into the house where I can use it. It's a beautiful machine.

bkay

QuiltnNan 06-06-2019 06:30 AM

good news! slow and steady wins the race!