Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Hi everyone, I'm new here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/hi-everyone-im-new-here-t287239.html)

carolynjo 04-04-2017 05:49 PM

Welcome from East Tenn.

cathyvv 04-04-2017 06:16 PM

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I think the owner, shall we say, has some trouble with the truth. He hinted that he'd looked the machine over and diagnosed it's problems, but it sounds like he only looked it over from the outside.

In my opinion, he did himself a disservice. Even if he is the only one dealer you can go to for machine repairs, you will talk about this with sewing buddies, and you will NEVER trust his word about anything. Neither will they.

His problem, not yours. Enjoy your machine and your accomplishment!

Jeanette Frantz 04-05-2017 12:11 PM

Welcome aboard! We all can "get ahead of ourselves" from time to time. I have to be very careful -- my budget is, as most of us experience, very tight. To say I've not found any "gold" yet in those "golden years" is an understatement. Still, I'm grateful for every day -- . I've ended up with a lot of machines, very few by purchase, mostly by inheritance, and I really do not have room for any more! That's not to say I wouldn't acquire another if it were in exceptional condition! LOL! Just keep oiling your machine -- if you don't have a manual for it, you can find it on the Singer website, usually dowloadable for free!. I purchased a machine for my cousin and it had some items which were "frozen", but working with it every few days and continued application of oil, along with gentle heat from a hair dryer eventually "unfroze" everything. I had a 201-2 (I got it free) but it had a frozen presser bar, but my son and I worked with it a lot and it freed up. Now, I use it for SITD quilting and it does a fantastic job! Congratulations on getting your 128 unfrozen and working! You just can't beat the old vintage machines. They are great stitchers, and are easily maintained (I would clean out that excess of grease on your machine, though). There are places where lubrication is supposed to be "oil" (regular sewing machine oil, NOT 3-in-1 oil), not grease! Consult the manual! Again, welcome aboard! Jeanette

leonf 04-05-2017 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571076[/ATTACH]128 in action from a rookie.

Thumbelina 04-05-2017 05:24 PM

Hi Kit Kat, welcome from NE Ohio.

sewbizgirl 04-05-2017 09:04 PM

Welcome Kit Kat!

Yeah... way too much money on that one. But since it's done, I'd just clean it up and make the best of it.

bkay 04-06-2017 06:19 AM

Been there, done that. I recently paid $40.00 for a Singer 600, because I wanted a metal geared slant stitch. Then I find out they are really crappy machines and mine needs lots of work. However, I paid $35.00 for an Elgin a few months ago that runs so smoothly that it literally hums. It doesn't need anything.

You win some and you lose some.

Welcome to the world of a sewing machine lover.

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 04-06-2017 09:52 AM

Bkay, a Singer 600 is not a crappy machine. I gave mine away simply because I'm not really a Singer gal. The 600 is one of the last all metal Singers and is a good one if it hasn't been abused or Igor hasn't worked on it.

Cari