Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Horror at the antique shop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/horror-antique-shop-t271999.html)

Mickey2 11-10-2015 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 7372502)
Me! Sold my fancy, expensive embroidery/sewing machine and now use a Singer 15-91 and Singer 221 for 95% of my sewing and quilting.

That's so nice to hear :- ) I have read several advicing beginners to start with a more reasonably priced model or used machine, then advance to something with higher specs. I just don't see how quilting and patchwork can get that advanced (view point from someone who has just made a few patchwork cushion covers and a quilted blanket). I do see the point of those long arm machines but I hope to get by on a regular 201.

Cari-in-Oly 11-10-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 7372557)
That's so nice to hear :- ) I have read several advicing beginners to start with a more reasonably priced model or used machine, then advance to something with higher specs. I just don't see how quilting and patchwork can get that advanced (view point from someone who has just made a few patchwork cushion covers and a quilted blanket). I do see the point of those long arm machines but I hope to get by on a regular 201.

I grew up using my moms 1964 Brother machine. As an adult I always wanted more bells and whistles. Several years ago I gave moms machine to my oldest DD and bought a new machine with all the fancy stitches, etc..Quickly missed the old Brother and found another one. That started my SMAD, now have 50+ machines, mostly old but a few new ones in the herd. I have a real fondness for straight stitch machines but honestly, how many do I really need? I'm also a quilter and will be getting a long arm in the future. As far as quilting with a 201, I use mine for straight line quilting but for free motion work I've not been successful at all with it. In fact, out of all the quilters I know on other groups who use vintage machines, only one does great free motion work with her 201. I much prefer using a class 15 machine like my 160 Cambridge. I really want to put this machine on a frame.

Cari

Mickey2 11-10-2015 12:56 PM

I have struggled when free motion darning on my 201, but it might be setting issues or beginner issues. I have bought a new jumping foot for it but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have a Bernina 730 with much the same bobbin type as model 15, it free motions with out any fuzz, but it's a free arm model and those flat beds in cabinets are great for handeling larger plains of fabric. I'm not very ambitious on the quilting side, my plan is a robe like Bilbo Baggins have in the Hobbit, and a couple of nice cosy patchwork blanket size quilts.

ThayerRags 11-11-2015 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7372556)
me too, Viking 6000 series to all Victorian machines

I started out with a 1914 Singer 66-3 Hand Crank, and have scratched and clawed my way up to a 1950s Singer 319W Treadle so far. I’m wanting to advance on to a 1960s Singer 401G Treadle, but for now, it’s just a dream....

CD in Oklahoma