Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How to center the needle position on a White? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-center-needle-position-white-t245537.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 04-21-2014 10:47 AM

How to center the needle position on a White?

Ahhh so much information available for Singers! Not so much for Whites. I have this cute little pink machine up and running and I want to try out the cams today but the needle position is slightly off to the left and I don't want to break a needle. Does anyone have a serice manual or experience with a White 6477...or maybe any White that might give me a clue?

Mrs. SewNSew 04-21-2014 11:21 AM

OK slight change. I found how to center the needle but cannot see anything to adjust the presser foot. Now that the needle is lined up well the pressure foot is too far to the right so my zig-zag position is dangerously close to hitting the left side of the plate.

Mizkaki 04-21-2014 11:24 AM

Some pictures please?

A needle slightly left of center may not be a problem, it could be an 'illusion'. The needle grows as the size gets larger. This growth is on the front of the needle, not on the scarf side. If the growth is on the scarf side it would hit the hook. If the bobbin is on the left of the machine and the machine threads left to right, the growth is on the left/ front of the needle and it will look like the needle is off center. If the bobbin is in front of the machine the growth doesn't show or make the needle appear as off center. Singer machines that have the needle scarf to the left and thread right to left will look off center, but to the right.

Hope that wasn't too confusing,
Cathy

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6685193)
Ahhh so much information available for Singers! Not so much for Whites. I have this cute little pink machine up and running and I want to try out the cams today but the needle position is slightly off to the left and I don't want to break a needle. Does anyone have a serice manual or experience with a White 6477...or maybe any White that might give me a clue?

Mrs. SewNSew 04-21-2014 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo. I hope you can see well enough.

Mrs. SewNSew 04-21-2014 12:55 PM

The needle is flat side back.

Mizkaki 04-21-2014 01:15 PM

your machine has the bobbin in front and threads front to back. So basically what I described doesn't apply here. However, that needle looks cock-eyed, not perpendicular to the needle-plate. Is that it's centered straight stitch position?
edit: That is also not slightly off center, as I was discussing in the previous post. Is this a left homing machine?
Cathy

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6685373)
Here is a photo. I hope you can see well enough.

oldsewnsew 04-21-2014 01:15 PM

interesting mrs sewnsew. Because I had A White ZZ very much like yours as an avatar. look at my profile pictures and u can see it. It was my nemesis ZZ wouldnt set right no matter what. I had a factory service manual.
I may be wrong but I think you have a left homing needle psn when SSing

Mrs. SewNSew 04-21-2014 01:26 PM

"I may be wrong but I think you have a left homing needle psn when SSing". ?? I don't think so? On the reverse button it has options to choose "right" "center" or "left". Yes you had a similar machine. The nose looks very much the same! Do you have any information on how to adjust the presser foot left or right?

Mizkaki 04-21-2014 01:39 PM

The presser bar goes through the casting with no method of adjusting left to right. Usually you can only rotate it.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6685415)
Do you have any information on how to adjust the presser foot left or right?

oldsewnsew 04-21-2014 01:52 PM

on my 764 the needle bar pivots from one side to the other. You can adjust needle psn a little by adj actuator rod. However if you set it to ss in the middle, ZZing will drive it into needle plate. Do you still have a SS needle plate for this? I'm betting the needle hole is left of center.