Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do You Clean the Wood on Antique Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-clean-wood-antique-machines-t251145.html)

JaniceP 08-01-2014 08:53 AM

How do You Clean the Wood on Antique Machines

4 Attachment(s)
I saw on Facebook the other day to use equal parts white vinegar with equal parts olive oil to restore the finish on old wood, rather than than refinish it.
I purchased a Singer 28K hand crank this weekend and the coffin looked so dried out especially the inside looked terrible to me. I thought I might as well try this mixture since it looked to me like it needed to be refinished. I really couldn't believe the results! I don't know what your method of cleaning old wood is[ATTACH=CONFIG]485910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485913[/ATTACH]
but this is the result of mine. I would like to hear how you clean yours. The pictures are before I later put some Howard Feed-N-Wax wood preserver on it which has Beeswax and Orange oil to keep the new look.

SteveH 08-01-2014 09:09 AM

OK, That's Cool! I'll give it a try.....

tessagin 08-01-2014 09:17 AM

If it works why not! I use Murphy's oil soap and wring out the cloth really well. Then Old English furniture oil. Beeswax is good idea!

oldsewnsew 08-01-2014 09:32 AM

i thought i was looking at my own post! same cover, same issue, same process. I used cotton balls and rubbed in smalll circular pattern The veneer is still poor, but looks waaay better. No wax yet.

oldsewnsew 08-01-2014 09:44 AM

the ratio i used was 2:1 oil/vinegar. I used cider vinegar.

cashs_mom 08-01-2014 09:45 AM

Wow, that looks great! I'm going to have to remember that for some of my antiques. Thanks!

oldsewnsew 08-01-2014 09:50 AM

The CL seller was asking $150 and mentioned ebay prices in the ad. I ecplained, yes ebay has high prices, but its for a large number of people who are interested in that item, then you need to pack carefully and ship. So i paid $100, which is more than I would for any Singer except a FW.

manicmike 08-01-2014 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6827098)
the ratio i used was 2:1 oil/vinegar. I used cider vinegar.

And I use linseed oil (if it's good enough for cricket bats...). If you look in old magazines and books you'll see various "recipes" for furniture polish. A retired carpenter told me that wood just needs to be treated with some kind of oil, which can be any good oil. So it's olive oil for the chopping board and linseed for the furniture polish :o

Caroline S 08-01-2014 02:34 PM

What a simple recipe. Oil and vinegar, who would have thought?? Simple and cheap.

JaniceP 08-01-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6827436)
And I use linseed oil (if it's good enough for cricket bats...). If you look in old magazines and books you'll see various "recipes" for furniture polish. A retired carpenter told me that wood just needs to be treated with some kind of oil, which can be any good oil. So it's olive oil for the chopping board and linseed for the furniture polish :o

Good to know.