Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do you restore or refurbish a featherweight case? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-restore-refurbish-featherweight-case-t192755.html)

RonieM 06-25-2012 10:20 AM

How do you restore or refurbish a featherweight case?

I have recently aquired a 1936 featherweight. The machine is in excellent condition, but the case is another story. I would really like to restore the case or even pay someone to restore it. However, I am having difficulty finding information on how to do it myself, or someone who who does restorations.

Does anyone have information that might be helpful?

Thanks!

Skyangel 06-25-2012 12:52 PM

Depends on what kind of shape yours is in. With mine, I reglued the loose fabric with Elmers wood glue, then polished it all with a shoe polish called "Kiwi Instant Wax Shine". Did a great job and it had been six years since I did it, still looks great. Now I need to do it again to the one I just got.

Kim

Pat M. 06-29-2012 12:45 PM

I took a 1939 case and stripped the fabric off of it, re-glued w/wood glue and then sanded it down until it was smooth. The metal I cleaned w/metal cleaner, oiled the lock mechanic and cleaned the rust spots. Several spots on wood had to be filled w/wood filler and then sanded when dry. Then I found some decor fabric and covered the box, glue w/ white Elmer's, cut the fabric very careful around the locking area and handle. The handle had to be covered also. That was hand stitched. It took me around 3 weeks to fix it up. It was fun to do but I do like a challenge.

misskira 06-29-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 5316198)
Depends on what kind of shape yours is in. With mine, I reglued the loose fabric with Elmers wood glue, then polished it all with a shoe polish called "Kiwi Instant Wax Shine". Did a great job and it had been six years since I did it, still looks great. Now I need to do it again to the one I just got.

Kim

I did the same. Washed it with 50/50 bleach and water, reglued the torn fabric and corners with Elmer's school glue, the polished the metal bits. I polished the case with black kiwi shoe polish. The hasps are missing and one hinge is broken, so I ordered replacements from Glenn Williams. They came yesterday and I'm hoping to put them on tonight. I spent about $30 on fixing it up, but with how well built they are, it seemed worth it. It's amazing how much the shoe polish improved the appearance. Mine is a little smelly so I still want to heat treat it. I'm thinking of doing it in dh's work truck on a super hot day... His truck is kind of stinky already. Shhh....

Suze9395 06-29-2012 07:55 PM

Heat treat it? I think I heard the smell is related to the glue? Does putting it in the hot car get rid of it?

misskira 06-29-2012 09:40 PM

heat will kill the mold growing in the case and in the horse glue so the smell doesn't come back quickly. You can use a work light inside the case, or some have had success with a hot shed or car.

nanna-up-north 06-30-2012 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by misskira (Post 5327572)
heat will kill the mold growing in the case and in the horse glue so the smell doesn't come back quickly. You can use a work light inside the case, or some have had success with a hot shed or car.

Good to know. Thanks