Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do you spell "too much fun"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-spell-too-much-fun-t200411.html)

blueheavenfla 09-13-2012 08:56 PM

How do you spell "too much fun"?

Today we stopped at a gun and pawn shop for me to look at TWO old machines that I had been watching for a couple months on CL and for DH to look at a gun. He got his gun and I got six vintage/antique...don't know which yet...sewing machines for $50...that is $50 TOTAL, not each! There is one Domestic, one New Home, two Singers (if I remember correctly) and two Whites. Five are in cabinets...one not and is missing the upper case. I think that the only other part missing is a throat plate on one of the Whites. One is a hand crank, one electric, the rest treadles. One cabinet looked to be in good shape but the rest need a lot of help. Only one of the machines seemed "frozen up" and the electric one needs to be rewired. The man knew nothing about sewing machines and had accepted them for pawn or purchased as part of a lot of furniture and paid way too much for them and just wanted them out of there. I will have to borrow a truck when a friend returns in a week or so to pick them up. I have no earthly idea why I bought them but I had so much fun redoing my VS2 and 128 that I couldn't pass them up. I don't even know where I will put them. I just fell in love with that cute HC and it turns so easily. I am absolutely itching to get my hands on them and I don't think Benadryl will cure this itch...I have been bitten by the bug for sure. And here I had promised DH that the VS2 and 128 were all I wanted. I think we will wish we had stock in the companies that make Evaporust and PB Blaster 'cause I bet I will be using both...a lot, maybe.
When I finally get the machines, I will post photos of them as they are now and again later...probably much, much later when they are looking a bit better. I figure that even if one or two of the machines are good only for parts...oh well, I think it is still a good deal. Did I mention that there are a "mess" of attachments but no manuals?

I kinda hope that my friend gets back soon with his truck so I can pick up the machines but if he does, that presents another time of "too much fun" because he went to NC to his vineyard and is bringing back enough grapes to make about 24 gallons of wine and I already have about 60 gallons fermenting and they are reaching the stage where I will need to bottle the wine. That doesn't sound like I will even have time to drink any of it before I start in on the machines. Anyone for a glass of wine?

Donna

DanofNJ 09-13-2012 09:14 PM

Pictures please. Wow, you're so lucky.

Caroline S 09-14-2012 07:27 AM

​Can hardly wait to see pictures your big score.

Diannia 09-14-2012 08:57 AM

Oh my! I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Diannia

Grace MooreLinker 09-15-2012 08:20 AM

WOW to both your machine purchase and the wine making, this should keep you busy all winter.

MimiBug123 09-15-2012 09:06 AM

Wow! Good for you. I know you'll enjoy all of them!

nygal 09-15-2012 09:11 AM

Wow...great price. I can't wait to see pictures of what they actually are.

Mariposa 09-15-2012 10:27 AM

Sounds like you will be in for a warm, fuzzy winter and have machines to tinker with too! :)

lovelyl 09-15-2012 12:08 PM

Unbelievable! Congrats!

miriam 09-23-2012 02:34 AM

sounds like something I would do... HHHMMMM have done... I got 65 with no where to go - had to buy all to get the ones I wanted. LOL You might be surprised how they clean up and which ones you like and don't like in the end. Do they have rust or is is dried up oil? Dried up oil is preferable... Surface rust is not too terrible but RUST through and through is a disaster and a LOT of work.