Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do you treadlers do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-treadlers-do-t206768.html)

miriam 11-25-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5678522)
I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?

That makes sense.

JudyTheSewer 11-25-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5678290)
Now that I can do.

Joe

I used sandpaper on the first oxygen tube belt I installed. I should really look for the violin bow rosin.

Miriam, I haven't considered drinking the cheap vodka that I keep in a spray bottle. That would probably have a negative effect on my seam accuracy! I think I'll have to stick with coffee.

J Miller 11-25-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 5677770)
It's a quilt pattern that has little "spoked" pieces radiating out from a center circle. It's very vintage and one of my favorites. You have to sew across the little ends of the spoke pieces, so it's lots of stopping and starting. DH wanted to know why I was doing it on that machine instead of one of the electric ones. I just felt like doing it on a treadle. Yes, he thinks I'm nuts.

Thanks for the explanation. Post a pic of it when you done. I'd really like to see one.

Joe

J Miller 11-25-2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot (Post 5677839)
Sorry, Joe, I wasn't paying any attention to who was asking for help.

That's OK. I can always use tips and ideas.

Joe

J Miller 11-25-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5678522)
I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?

Ummm, no. No bow rosin.

Joe

J Miller 11-25-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5678648)
I used sandpaper on the first oxygen tube belt I installed. I should really look for the violin bow rosin.

Miriam, I haven't considered drinking the cheap vodka that I keep in a spray bottle. That would probably have a negative effect on my seam accuracy! I think I'll have to stick with coffee.

Just for my curiosity, why keep vodka for cleaning? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be as good?

Joe

JudyTheSewer 11-25-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5678660)
Just for my curiosity, why keep vodka for cleaning? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be as good?

Joe

I'm sure denatured alcohol would serve the same purpose as the vodka. Ever since my babies were born I've tried to use as few chemicals as possible in the house. So in my mind the denatured alcohol has chemicals added so I just stick with the stuff you CAN drink (although I don't drink this because it is such a cheap vodka that I bet it would give one nasty hangover.) I've never tried rubbing alcohol for cleaning so I don't know its affect but I don't care for the smell of that. That's all Joe - just my preference :-) I bet vodka is not better than the others.