Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I CHALLENGE you to guess what my new machine is...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-challenge-you-guess-what-my-new-machine-t266906.html)

SteveH 06-29-2015 03:05 PM

The top springs are the early version of the take-up. I plan to sew with it.

Jon - yep 13x1 or 1x7 according to the ISMACS needle list

Sewnoma 06-30-2015 05:57 AM

Oh, interesting! That makes sense. I'd love to see that in action!

Thank you for sharing all these photos all the time, by the way. I get so excited when I see something new like that and you've always got such interesting things to share!

OurWorkbench 06-30-2015 06:42 AM

Steve,

Ditto - "Thank you for sharing all these photos all the time..." I thoroughly enjoy seeing the machines from before 1900. I sincerely doubt that I will ever be "up close & personal" with any of them. I really appreciate seeing the machines, the explanation of the working parts and the transformations you have made to these fantastic machines.

Thank you, too, for restoring, preserving and sharing these machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

SteveH 06-30-2015 08:38 AM

We will be in Willits California on August 22-23rd with the collection in the Mendocino County Museum if folks can make it.

This is our third year as part of the Willits Kinetic Carnival.

costumegirl 06-30-2015 09:48 AM

Interesting machine!! Thx for showing the pics!

Rodney 06-30-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 7243019)
Steve,

Ditto - "Thank you for sharing all these photos all the time..." I thoroughly enjoy seeing the machines from before 1900. I sincerely doubt that I will ever be "up close & personal" with any of them. I really appreciate seeing the machines, the explanation of the working parts and the transformations you have made to these fantastic machines.

Thank you, too, for restoring, preserving and sharing these machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Don't be too sure you won't stumble across one. Steve has run into some real beauties locally. Your area has been around long enough that there should be a few jems hiding there too.
I know I've seen a lot of nice machines around Denver on Shopgoodwill. Nothing quite as old as Steve's Singer but still the possibility exists.

Steve congratulations on that Singer. :) It looks like a great machine. I really wish I could get down your way.
Rodney

Sewnoma 07-01-2015 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7243138)
We will be in Willits California on August 22-23rd with the collection in the Mendocino County Museum if folks can make it.

This is our third year as part of the Willits Kinetic Carnival.

Oh, VERY cool! I am going to see about attending that, thanks for posting! I miss the Handcar Regattas they used to have in Santa Rosa; this sounds similar, but even better because there will be sewing machines there!

sjwnana 07-01-2015 04:47 PM

I got my wheeler serviced and up and running yesterday and it runs smooth as hot butter... it is the last gift my dear neighbor got for me at a yard sale... for $10.00 in a nice cabinet that shines like new with just scott's liquid gold... RIP girlfriend I will think of you each time I set down to it...........

HelenAnn 07-02-2015 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7240607)
yes, it is a Singer Letter A. It is "almost" Civil War 1865

All early Singers have two numbers, one is the serial number the other (the lower number numerically) is a manufacturing tracking number. The fun part about this is the ISMACS DB only goes back to 1871.

great Guess!!! I am impressed

here are a couple more...

The Machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523669[/ATTACH]

The Treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523670[/ATTACH]

The foot pedal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523671[/ATTACH]

and one of my favorite parts. the pitman.... WOOD...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523672[/ATTACH]

The entire pitman is wood? It is amazing that it is so fancy compared to the rest of the machine.

SteveH 07-02-2015 08:33 AM

That is my understanding.... I will not have it in hand for a couple of months