Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I did it again/ or why I hate CL... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-did-again-why-i-hate-cl-t257681.html)

ScubaK 12-02-2014 08:12 PM

I did it again/ or why I hate CL...

I have always wanted a Featherweight. I have always questioned that want. Why would I want an old machine when I have two top of the line machines (brother Quattro, and Pfaff Creative Vision...) that cost lots of money... so I browse Craigs LIst...and I find one that has been in the salt air in a garage for 20 years and the guy cant get it to sew...it has some corrosion but is still a great machine...the case is shot...I put a correct needle in it and it sews like a dream
I take this machine home, oil it and put in a new needle and it sews perfect...just has an ugly case..
Today I take a lookie at CL and I see another one for 150$ and I email if its available...YUP...I run out there and it has been neglected a bit...but it still looks good (electric/ gears and such) I don't even sew on it and take it for 150$....get it home and have to do some tensions setting and total oil/grease...but it sews even more quiet than my first one...the case is perfect and I have many feet...and a owners manual...
Now I have to sell one...maybe....
Pictures to follow...
I'm hoping that I am not getting addicted to older machines...as I love my very first machine...my GM White treadle...I love that machine...
K

Cari-in-Oly 12-02-2014 08:27 PM

It's a slippery slope you're riding on, lol. The thrill of the hunt, the great deals to be found, the satisfaction of fixing them, the "ooh, I want one in that color or with those decals", next thing you know you're getting rid of furniture to make more room and your kids are threatening to disown you. Ask me how I know, ROFL.

Cari

quiltingcandy 12-02-2014 11:52 PM

Cari-in-Oly is so right! Once I made my mind up to get one, I was searching CL, Ebay and ShopGoodwill.com. That does not include looking at yard sales and thrift stores. Oh, and those beautiful repainted ones in quilt shops and quilt shows were to die for (but seemed to start at $1800.00 - way out of my price range). Before I knew it - I had 3 of them. One for me, one for each of my daughters - neither of them sew and neither of them wanted the machines but I had a machine for them. So once they convinced me they would never want their machines, I decided to give one to a friend of my sister who lives on a boat. She started sewing and needed a reliable little machine. But once my sister saw the FW and tried it out, she asked if she could keep it. So I still have 2 - why? Because they are cute and I don't want to sell it. That would be like selling one of my children!

And I still look for the little machines. Haven't bought any lately, but I know if the asking price is too good, I am not sure I could resist.

Macybaby 12-03-2014 06:13 AM

I'm so far down that slope there is no getting back out - and to help get out from under them in the house, DH and I are putting up a building just for me excess sewing machines. I was doing fine as long as I stuck hard and fast to Singer only - but then DH started getting interested and found a Two Spool treadle we just had to get - and then I found a White made VS treadle with beautiful decals - and then I just kept finding reasons to justify the next purchase. At least I've not broken the bank doing this, but I've been out of room for some time now!

Blackberry 12-03-2014 06:28 AM

I, also am pretty far down the slope. My OSMG got me started with a Singer 201 that ran so quiet and would sew thru 7 layers of material and batting without one bit of hesitation and I was bitten by the bug. Since that time I now have over 50 machines. I do try to keep my spending per machine below $50 but with FWs that has been impossible so far. I just saw a beautiful singer treadle on CL that the gentleman said he would sell to me for $40, he wanted $50. I told my DH and he said, Where are we going to put it. We are seriously running out of room. So now I am wondering around thru the house trying to see what can be replaced with this machine. We are supposed to get it tomorrow and pictures will follow.

oldtnquiltinglady 12-03-2014 06:54 AM

I am sitting here laughing at each one you above. Justification is our byword.....

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Elna person. But my sewing machine collection is all over the place--I am just loyal to Elna. Sons bring in yard sale and auction bargains nearly every weekend; I watch CL all the time for FWs, and every time DH and I go out riding around and see a yard sale sign, I say "wonder if she has a FW" and my collection varies from day to day, currently numbered at 5 which includes 2 white ones.

My DH has become a FW mechanic, by default, because I won't pay the "out of sight" repair person's fees for doing something that I can do myself--and don't mind imposing my will on a husband looking for something to do to fill up his day.

Sewnoma 12-03-2014 06:55 AM

It's funny how addicting these machines are. I never dreamed I would want old machines, much less that I'd be excited about buying some old rusty thing that doesn't really work, but somehow I've started picking up old Singers and playing with them. I'm not nearly to the point some of you are (I don't have enough SPACE to get to that point!) but it's gotten to where my guests now make it a game to see how many sewing machines they can spot in the house. :D I'm still not really any good at fixing them, but I'm slowly learning things and getting braver.

I try not to LOOK for machines too hard, but then when I come across one "in the wild" at a thrift shop or garage sale, I'm totally fixated on it. Even if it's a machine I don't want, I have to play with it a little bit and see what I can learn about it. I've bonded with several people, playing with old machines at thrift shops. Guaranteed, if there's a machine in a cabinet and I pull the head up, SOMEONE is going to come see what's going on and start sharing stories about how Great Aunt Edna had one "just like it"... :) It's just a lot of fun, even if I don't take the machine home.

toverly 12-03-2014 07:22 AM

You're lucky they are still a reasonable price. Our CL has them for $450 and up. People seem to think they are worth that even if they aren't serviced or running. Enjoy the pursuit.

Macybaby 12-03-2014 08:33 AM

I've noticed that Florida is crazy on prices. I've checked there a time or two since my FIL lives there and we visit occasionally. I'll check out the whole route for SD to FL, and FL is normally the highest in prices. Though for some reason, eastern Iowa seems high too, and SE Minnesota . . . though the rest of MN and IA are not that way.

ScubaK 12-03-2014 09:50 AM

The average price in Wa. state on CL is about 325$
The White FW are higher and there is a 222 for 1100$ right now.
K