Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I have officially joined the Featherweight club (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-have-officially-joined-featherweight-club-t265682.html)

Sewnoma 05-27-2015 06:35 AM

I have officially joined the Featherweight club

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my 15th sewing machine, a well-loved Featherweight. It arrived yesterday! Her original owner was named Patricia, so please meet Patricia!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520814[/ATTACH]
(I only had a brief few minutes to spend with her last night so this is the only picture I have to share at this point - from the eBay listing)

The seller said it was her gran's machine and had sat in a closet for 20 years. Well, looks like up until then, gran did a great job taking care of her machine! There is a reassuring amount of soft grease on the gears underneath, and the drip pan pad is surprisingly clean. The lead tube under there is pretty badly oxidized and that scared me a bit, but Nova Montgomery's site reassured me it's nothing to worry about. I'll just clean it up and call it good. Wiring is a little greasy but in good shape - I'll clean that up too. Actual movement of the machine is lovely.

Tonight I'll plug her in and actually see how she sews, I ran out of time last night and hadn't wanted to plug it in without taking a look-see underneath first. I have a good feeling about it, though. :) She came with a mostly-empty plastic tube of grease and I consider that a good sign the motor was hopefully not run dry too much. I still need to check the brushes though, just watched Nova's video on that late last night.

I'm going to order Nova's lube, and some new rubber feet for the machine (one got torn off some how), brushes if she needs 'em, and I think that's all she needs! I have plenty of feet to fit, and she came with 19 bobbins, so I feel pretty well set. Also got the original manual and some service records.

I'm happy with my new little darling. :) She's from 1948.

tessagin 05-27-2015 06:41 AM

Patricia is gorgeous and just happens to be my mother's name. The date of your machine is the year my mother and father married. How awesome. You should have this for a very long time. They were married 44 years. Grabbing a tissue.

Sewnoma 05-27-2015 06:44 AM

Oh wow tessagin, what an interesting set of coincidences!!

I'm 40 now, so if I'm lucky maybe I'll be able to sew on her for 44 years. :) Sounds like a good goal to me!

J Miller 05-27-2015 06:51 AM

Our FW was also made in 1948. Came with dozens of bobbins, all the accessories, a ZZ attachment, manual and other goodies.

It wasn't in as good a shape as yours is, ours was jammed with thread.

Oh, when cleaning the machine, ignore the white oxidation on the lead tube underneath. It's a non issue unless you ingest it. Then it can be hazardous to your health. Lead oxide is a carcinogen.

Joe

Tartan 05-27-2015 07:48 AM

​Congratulations!

Tink's Mom 05-27-2015 01:55 PM

Welcome to the club! Hope you have many long years of stitching with your new featherweight.

Mrs. SewNSew 05-27-2015 09:40 PM

Congratulations! She looks like a real beauty! You're going to love her!

quiltingcandy 05-27-2015 09:45 PM

Congratulations! They are so cute and fun to use.

foufymaus 05-27-2015 10:32 PM

congratulations!

Debbie C 05-28-2015 05:14 AM

Welcome to the FW club! You're going to love this little beauty....she looks really good!