Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I was just gifted with a very old White Sewing Machine Plus (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-just-gifted-very-old-white-sewing-machine-plus-t236901.html)

Jeanette Frantz 12-17-2013 01:54 PM

I was just gifted with a very old White Sewing Machine Plus

This is extreme! I was just talking with a lady, and she said she had an old White Treadle Sewing Machine that she will give me. It belonged to her mother, and she says it's very old. I haven't seen it, so I don't know what I'm getting into! Then, there's another one that's coming up at an auction -- I've been promised that one if it's still there, too! WOW! I really didn't want to start collecting machines until I have my house cleaned out (my aunt's stuff is still packed and stacked in my house). I'm anxious to see what I've been gifted with, but I won't see them until after Christmas! I'll just have to be patient! NOT! LOL

Jeanette Frantz

The addiction is threatening!

J Miller 12-17-2013 03:37 PM

Jeanette,

I love those old White made machines. :D I'll just patiently wait for your pics ..... umm NOT.

I have read, but can't say from experience, that the White made treadles are smoother and easier to control than the Singers are. One of these days I'll find out.

Joe

miriam 12-17-2013 03:39 PM

Those old Whites are neat machines.

SteveH 12-17-2013 04:00 PM

Not sure how old Your new White is but I have a White Model A (1st White production model) and it moves smooth as silk and has one of the largest harps I have (especially compared to the rest of the mid 1870's machines)

Macybaby 12-17-2013 04:34 PM

Well, then you may need a set of White attachments to go with the National ones. I happen to have an overabundance of White attachments! If it does not come with any, let me know if it's a long bobbin or rotary.

I love my New Queen (White long bobbin)

Jeanette Frantz 12-17-2013 08:31 PM

I can't believe it! It was not my intention to collect machines (although I do very much appreciate them) but these were just literally "handed" to me! I am excited about them, but I'll probably be more excited once I see them! I smell an addiction coming! LOL

Jeanette

vmaniqui 12-17-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz (Post 6461911)
I smell an addiction coming! LOL

Jeanette

lucky you as you're still smelling it. you can turn around or go somewhere else and smoke will dissipate. problem with me is there's no warning of a smoke coming, i was already smoking it (antique addiction) before i could smell it.

mighty 12-18-2013 07:15 AM

Awesome, congrats!!!!!

caroloto 12-18-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6461479)
Those old Whites are neat machines.

You will just love the old Whites! One of my favorite sewing machines and I use it more then any of my others!!!

Carol34446 12-19-2013 07:37 PM

Happy for you. I bought a White Rotary Tredle and a Singer Red Eye but I had to pay for them here in Central FL, 70 miles N of Tampa on W. Coast. They have old sewing machines here in Craigs list and some of these people think they are gold plated and want a small fortune.
Enjoy the machines. It gets adictive. Only lack of space keeps me from looking for more right now.