Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Love My 99 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-love-my-99-a-t263719.html)

Quilter 53 04-07-2015 03:21 PM

I Love My 99

Just had to share.
Needed to put a new zipper in my hubby's Carhart jacket, one of my least favorite jobs to do. My 99 zipped, pun intended, right through it and is stronger than ever. Even stitched through 5 layers of Carhart material, the batting and lining on the pocket corner to make that as good as new.
Now I know what machine I'm going to use for all my heavy duty repairs!

sdhaevrsi 04-07-2015 06:44 PM

That is fun

MFord 04-07-2015 09:10 PM

Does yours run loud or quiet? I just finished cleaning one up and it roars a bit. May be because it's in a hand built frame sitting on a card table with wonky legs. Guess I should move it and see if it runs quieter!

MFord 04-07-2015 09:11 PM

Oh, and I'll use it next time my SIL wants me to put new patches on his Kevlar motorcycle jacket - nice to know they are strong beasts!

NJ Quilter 04-08-2015 03:06 AM

Guess that's what I'll be using next time the boat cover needs repairing!

Sewnoma 04-08-2015 06:30 AM

Yaay! I have two 99's - I bought one, then about 2 months later was given another one, but the second one isn't working yet (electrical problems) - but I love sewing on the first one! It was "frozen" when I bought it but just from old oil. I cleaned and oiled and greased her up and she sews great...and the best part is that the more I use it, the happier it gets and the smoother it runs. I don't think it was used much at all in its prior life and it seems to really like to be put to work.

It's a delightful little machine to sew on, and it doesn't hurt that it's cute as a button either. I would sew on it more but I have too many machines I love to sew on to give it all the love it wants.

Vridar 04-08-2015 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 (Post 7156993)
Just had to share.
Needed to put a new zipper in my hubby's Carhart jacket, one of my least favorite jobs to do. My 99 zipped, pun intended, right through it and is stronger than ever. Even stitched through 5 layers of Carhart material, the batting and lining on the pocket corner to make that as good as new.
Now I know what machine I'm going to use for all my heavy duty repairs!

Congratulations on the zipper work and your 99. I have an ugly (ugly, but in amazingly good condition) 99 Godzilla hand crank in a bent wood carrying case I have used for on the job canvas repair, boat straps, etc. Hard to beat.

wolph33 04-08-2015 07:45 AM

I have one of those and love it.they are great machines.

Farmhousesewer 04-08-2015 08:04 AM

Love my 99 too. Converted to HC, it is my go to machine and the one I bring to TOGAs. Also have an electric 99K.
A few more 99's intended to convert and bring to Haiti, but that mission trip never panned out.

caspharm 04-08-2015 12:33 PM

Sounds good. I need to work on mine and get her running.